How important is radiator location in a room?

ed110220 wrote

None of our radiators are under windows

There are thousands of new builds like that....
Homes like this one....
7olm.jpg

Where the design doesn't lend itself to radiators placed under windows....
7qol.jpg

The rads go on adjacent walls and causes no discomfort in the room.

Sponsored Links
I'm talking of them saying it's a good thing having a boiler setup that requires a 100 cm^3 hole letting a gale into the room, not that the vent isn't necessary for a non-room sealed boiler. I'm well aware that it's necessary as I don't want to wake up dead one morning ;)

I'm just saying 'the way it's always been done' is often bad to continue with, especially when it comes to energy saving. I think it's a big reason why this country is well behind others in this field as people stick with the 'tried and tested' rather than more modern innovations.

But you don't need to have a huge hole in your wall....It is your boiler that is behind the times but until you replace it then the ventilation must remain.... Same with glazing, until they develop glazing with the same insulative values as the insulated walls that they will be fitted into then radiators should be fitted under the windows...
The history of construction is littered with the bones of great ideas that didn't work as intended, even everyday practices such as plastic pipework and underfloor heating had very shakey starts and when launched weren't fully developed so a degree of caution is wise.

ed110220 wrote

None of our radiators are under windows

There are thousands of new builds like that....
Homes like this one....
7olm.jpg

Where the design doesn't lend itself to radiators placed under windows....
7qol.jpg

All that does is demonstrate perfectly the poor quality of new builds and the muppets largely employed to work on them. As confirmed by the frustrated and often amusing stories I hear from my neighbour who runs new build sites.

Show a decent cook a kitchen like that and they'll laugh in your face.

Kitchen should be at the front, with some decent units. Dining room to the rear so you can benefit from the French doors and view of the garden rather than the street.

So this is the easy stuff that is plain to see. Imagine the schoolboy errors going on on what can't be seen or was left to the ponderings of a pipe monkey on site?

corgigrouch wrote
Same with glazing, until they develop glazing with the same insulative values as the insulated walls that they will be fitted into then radiators should be fitted under the windows...

Complete tosh.
That glazing was here years ago!

Sponsored Links
Dom Robison wrote

All that does is demonstrate perfectly the poor quality of new builds and the muppets largely employed to work on them

Nice troll muppet.

What it demonstrates is that rads on adjacent walls is not a big issue.

corgigrouch wrote
Same with glazing, until they develop glazing with the same insulative values as the insulated walls that they will be fitted into then radiators should be fitted under the windows...

Complete tosh.

Really? Where?

corgigrouch wrote

Complete tosh.

Really? Where?

Here in the province.
An argon filled low E triple glazed window has a lower U value than many cavities.

Back in the ole days with single glazing the transmittance through the glazing was five times greater than cavity walls.

Now its about three times greater.
And problems with so called "draughts" are eliminated.

How do you know that?
Do you live in one?
Have you put temperature sensors and anemometers in one, during winter, to monitor draughts?

Whilst you have derided my "desk jockey" role, I do, at least, know when I do not know something and have the integrity to cheerfully admit it.

Why are the radiators on the internal walls in such houses?

I will bet you a pound to a pinch of **** that the developers have worked out the costs for the various heating installations.

The installation with rads on the internal walls is cheapest because you don't have to run tube from the kitchen wall-mounted boiler to the external walls.

It is not necessarily more comfortable or more efficient, but if you tell the punters that it is, some fools will believe it.

A quality new build would have UFH.

I have worked on new-build housing developments; they were all ****.

How do you know that?
Because I've installed them that way on new builds. Never had any problems.

Do you live in one?
Yes I live in a property with large 2m tall x .6m wide column rads on internal walls.
The temperature sampling I've done tells me the upper and lower areas of the room stratifies by a couple of degrees extra.
Nothing that causes discomfort.

Why are the radiators on the internal walls in such houses?

Because they won't fit under the windows due to height restrictions.

A
quality new build would have UFH.
Not necessarily. Some consultants prefer radiators.

Height restriction put there by designers who want to make modern houses look more period.

Because I've installed them that way on new builds.

I see ;).

:LOL: :LOL:

If I was the only one who installed them that way then I'd hardly be posting on here. Thousands of new builds installed that way.

Height restriction put there by designers who want to make modern houses look more period.

Because I've installed them that way on new builds.

I see ;).

:LOL: :LOL:

Not too shabby eh? And not a single anaconda to be found.
The window is quite a distance away also.
2pgt.png

Have you ever installed anything like that in the hovels you be in?

Got one similar lent up against a wall in my garden and a mirrored one in my bedroom.

Fooking hate them. Never heated the living room properly where they were installed - ironically against the internal walls.

Put the mirrored one in the bedroom as we needed a mirror and it fitted nicely between the window and ensuite door.

Dude - some of the places I work in are worth more than the entire estates you throw pipes in. Having to do my commercial tickets in the new year on account of some of the projects going are well out of scope.

Having to share a two storey plant room with the swimming pool people in one. Bit of a competition over who gets the top bunk ;).

Anyway - enough dickswinging. I'm feeling light headed.

If you want to make an offer on the one in the garden. If you can afford it.

*edit*

Here you go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back