How important is radiator location in a room?

I'd like to see the back side and see the f&r tapping configuration.
Make and model might help me out.
If that's not too much trouble. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
All that does is demonstrate perfectly the poor quality of new builds and the muppets largely employed to work on them. going on on what can't be seen or was left to the ponderings of a pipe monkey on site?

Wooooaaaahhh there pipe monkey!!!! muppet!!!!

Bit harsh!!!!

(I am/was a site plumber after a full 4 year SITE apprenticeship)

Oh and BTW Iv worked for nearly every new build major builder and rads go under the window UNLESS the window is too low. Default is ALWAYS under the window

I'm just wondering how uniformly it heats up.
The one in the earlier image (Quinn Adagio) has the columns connected via header pipes.
The bottom one being split so its effectively a "reverse return" configuration.

Sponsored Links
These have series of connections linking the sections. Think there is a reverse return of sorts on the bottom.

Either way - they look and work shit.

Not too shabby eh? And not a single anaconda to be found.
The window is quite a distance away also.

It looks like a Gurney stove. Seriously, why would anyone put that in their house, it's neither radiator nor convector, takes up a whole wall and looks like a half-baked imitation of a sectional cast-iron radiator.

It's quite simple, Norcon.

You have a heat source on one wall and a heat sink on the opposite wall (which is still the coldest surface, despite the double/triple glazing and wall insulation).
Which way will the convection air currents go?
Where will the cold air current be?

You did not have a clue about why radiators are/were usually fixed under the windows. It's of no significance that you hadn't heard of Coanda, but you shouldn't try to ridicule me because I happen to know more about your trade than you do. It's bad manners and very childish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coandă_effect

Seriously, why would anyone put that in their house,

Because it looks good, takes up little floor space and heats the room where it is located.
I have them in my home. Best thing since sliced bread.

I happen to know more about your trade than you do

I doubt that very much.

NGI, don't worry dude. There was a caveat in a previous post allowing for good eggs like yourself.

Norc is unable to accept the fact that most, if not all his ideas and experiences have been blown out of the water by every other professional that has posted on this topic. Well meaning numpties such as John always shrink away when their experience is called into question.

I have them in my home. Best thing since sliced bread.

You didn't answer the question.
Where will the coldest air be? In which direction will it move?

There's nothing good about sliced bread.
It was a backwards step by people who don't know a good loaf and who can't sharpen a dull knife.

I doubt that very much.

.. said the man who doesn't believe in convection.

It looks like a Gurney stove. Seriously, why would anyone put that in their house, it's neither radiator nor convector, takes up a whole wall and looks like a half-baked imitation of a sectional cast-iron radiator.

Indeed. Only kept the one due to mirror in the middle.

Damn sure it won't keep the room warm when the cold weather kicks in. Will fit a vertical panel rad in its place when the missus realises I was right.

She didn't want to spend anymore on the house after blowing 6 figures doing it up.

She hates being cold more though ;).

You didn't know Pilkington had krypton filled glazed units with U values as low as 0.5 until I pointed it out to you.

Cynic that I am, I doubt it.

The last few projects I was involved in had no windows. so it's not news that greatly excites me.

Here in the province.
An argon filled low E triple glazed window has a lower U value than many cavities.

So you'd go to all the expense of fitting your super windows and not upgrade the insulation of the cavity wall? That's madness.... ayone with half a brain would upgrade the insulation of their walls as a priority and by that time (Assuming your windows exist) the walls wold have higer insulative qualities than the windows that you hae just fitted... And the windows would then provide you with a cold front yet again...

These have series of connections linking the sections. Think there is a reverse return of sorts on the bottom.

Either way - they look and work shit.

The MI's make no mention of a baffle or split header. So no forced circulation through the columns.
That explains why its performing so badly.

The Quinn adagio makes that clear about the baffle. They also heat up simmering hot. Your thermal imager would be off the scale.
Even the one on the gravity circuit!

Italian engineering = 0
Irish engineering = 1

Height restriction put there by designers who want to make modern houses look more period.

Because I've installed them that way on new builds.

I see ;).

:LOL: :LOL:

Not too shabby eh? And not a single anaconda to be found.
The window is quite a distance away also.
2pgt.png

Have you ever installed anything like that in the hovels you be in?

Nice! is that in your own place nobcon?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back