How is this catch supposed to work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a built-in bin from Brabantia. It goes inside a kitchen cupboard and comes with a lid which is supposed to close when you close the cupboard door. Unfortunately the lid stays closed the whole time, scraping over the top of the bin when I open and close the door.

I attach a photo showing the mechanism responsible for raising and lowering the lid. The idea seems to be that the two vertical springs pull down a plastic lever in the middle whenever the door is open. The plastic lever presses against the bin lid to raise it. When the door is closed it presses against the lever so counteracting the pull of the springs. The trouble is the springs don't seem to be strong enough to raise the lid when the door is open, so it just stays down the whole time.

There's another, more complicated spring in the mechanism which you can see in the photo at the top. I imagine that this is meant to provide extra lift to the lid but I'm not sure how. Maybe it's fitted incorrectly?

I contacted Brabantia who were unable to advise me but are sending me another bin lid. I rather imagine that I will have the same problem with that.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

//www.diynot.com/network/Arbu/albums/2559/42612

Sponsored Links
Figured it out I think. There are some short lengths of metal that extend from each end of the spring at the top. If I push these into the catch so that they are wedge inside it rather than sticking through the slot at the back then this hinge provides a lot more lift and it seems to work OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back