How long does it normally take to qualify as a project manager?

• Thread starter Deleted member 290061
  • Start date
I've had an interest in trying to do the role of a project manager but would be more suited to learning on the job

A good PM can earn a thousand pounds a day

And can save his client ten or a hundred times as much

there are lots who are not very good.

The Portsmouth Spinnaker Tower is an example.

Sponsored Links
Given that you can get a PRINCE2 practitioner qualification in 5 days
Thats a bit like someone learning spelling, grammar, punctuation, and how to use a word processing package, and thinking it will turn them into a Booker Prize winning author...

Depends on the area. If you are into Robotics and AI there is such a demand there are mid 20 year olds as PMs.

Perhaps it's like being a "driver."

Lots of people can drive

to some extent.

Sponsored Links
Thats a bit like someone learning spelling, grammar, punctuation, and how to use a word processing package, and thinking it will turn them into a Booker Prize winning author...

I never commented on that being a good/bad idea...just the fact that is how long a training course to qualification can take.

Of course experience and exposure takes time, as does knowing the process and being comfortable enough to apply the bits that work and the bits that don't based on the situation in front of you.

you need a combination of serious professional training, and maybe five years of practical experience.
In my experience, the practical experience far outweighs the professional training.

Most of the people in my industry that have done a Prince2 have only done it to get the paper qualification that the large builders like you to have to demonstrate competence.

In my experience, the practical experience far outweighs the professional training.

Most of the people in my industry that have done a Prince2 have only done it to get the paper qualification that the large builders like you to have to demonstrate competence.

That's pretty much how it is in IT, it's a desired piece of paper to get you in the door, the rest you have to demonstrate. It's a bit of a farce to have to go and get PRINCE2 when no-one really cares.

That's pretty much how it is in IT, it's a desired piece of paper to get you in the door, the rest you have to demonstrate. It's a bit of a farce to have to go and get PRINCE2 when no-one really cares.

The automate CV keyword scans do. :mrgreen:

Are you saying there's an algorithm used to automate looking through peoples CV's when it comes to hiring or have I misunderstood?

Are you saying there's an algorithm used to automate looking through peoples CV's when it comes to hiring or have I misunderstood?

Yes! I can only speak for IT but all CVs go through a prefilter and if the required keywords are missing (or don't match those the recruiter is scanning for) you fail to get in the pot of candidates. It sucks but once you know you can structure your CV in line with this. Still makes them a bit crap to read though.

Sure there is.

Keyword search.

An amusing trick is to include a section beginning "I know nothing at all about any of the following:"

Yes! I can only speak for IT but all CVs go through a prefilter and if the required keywords are missing (or don't match those the recruiter is scanning for) you fail to get in the pot of candidates. It sucks but once you know you can structure your CV in line with this. Still makes them a bit crap to read though.
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised but I am! I've not heard of this before
An amusing trick is to include a section beginning "I know nothing at all about any of the following:"
:LOL:

When recruiting, you often find CVs that have not been reviewed by a competent human being. I always tick off the more promising ones for Essential and Desirable attributes. I lambast agencies that do not pay attention to the Requirement I composed so carefully.

Project managing what? It's like surveyors. Anybody can call themselves a surveyor. People who measure and quote for double glazing call themselves surveyors. You can learn the job and become a surveyor in 4 hours. Possibly even less.

Sponsored Links
Back