How long does it take to Prime coat an inside door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My painter is trying to convince me that it took all day to prime coat my inside glazed door, and is charging £75; I know that it would take no longer than an hour to do a prime coat; can someone confirm this please?

Sponsored Links
What was the painter contracted to do, ?
Just Prime, Prime/Undercoat or Prime/Undercoat/Gloss
Were materials involved in the original costing ?
Was he involved in replacing the door ?

What was the painter contracted to do, ?
Just prime coat the door only!

Just Prime, Prime/Undercoat or Prime/Undercoat/Gloss
Prime only!

Were materials involved in the original costing ?
yes, supplied!

Was he involved in replacing the door ?

No!

I left it to him, and now I feel I've been cheated!

Sponsored Links
How have you been cheated ? is he going to do other decorating work to the door once the primer is dry, ?

He wouldn't have been able to do much more on another job that morning, so he probably booked you out for a half day. Decent enough of him i think, had you a couple of other small jobs that needed doing you would have found him to be more economical.

Dc Dec I agree, I was getting to that,
being self employed decorator myself this is a problem I have come against on several occasions, when the customer complains about the price of a small job and complain they are being "Ripped Off"
these types of jobs are more trouble than they are worth,

the customer asks for an estimate, thats half day`s work, visit property, type out estimate, post, petrol expenses etc, customers do not expect to pay for estimates or quotes.
So the job is now valued at half the £75. which is £32. 50 , again take into account travelling, going to supplier for materials , a decent small tin of paint is going to cost about £20.00, leaves about £12.50 and that is before one takes in the cost of being a Professional
take the cost of deterioration and usage of tools, dust sheets, cleaning of overalls etc there is not enough left for a Pint of Beer in the Local Pub.
The OP should be grateful that this "Pro" took on the job and helped them out .
Was the decorator paid straightaway after they had completed the work or did they have to submit an account, and wait for their money .

Last edited:
If all he did was put the prime coat on, then you've been cheated. A prime coat on an internal glazed door can be done in about an hour or less for a pro, but even considering he's slow, then 2 hours tops. So how was the job speced, and what was he proposing to do/charge for the job. Did you sort these things out before he started; and who's going to do the undercoat and top coat.

If you're up to challenging him, then ask him what he charges for a half days work, and just pay him that, as it certainly doesn't take a whole day for a prime coat.

If all he did was put the prime coat on, then you've been cheated. A prime coat on an internal glazed door can be done in about an hour or less for a pro
thanks, that's exactly what he did, and I agree with your comments; knew it shouldn't have taken longer than an hour!
The problem nowadays is that your trust in some folks is broken too easily these days when your back is turned, and yes, I do feel cheated, and it wasn't a great finish either even though there's the undercoat and gloss to follow which is not part of this fee!

You've said that he's not doing the undercoat and top coat, but you could offer to allow him to continue, but warn him that you'll be there when he does the job, and see how long it takes. But I suspect it's going to better to cut your losses, and find someone else who'll give you a price that you're both happy with. If you can't face this guy down, and get a reduced rate, then take it on the chin and learn from the experience.

Its not about trust, its about a fella trying to earn a living. Maybe he's no good, that's a separate issue, but you have to understand that to make a living a SE dec has to gross £150 a day. You should also always agree a price before employing anyone to work for you. Boss white has explained it's more than turning up and slapping a coat of paint on, yet you're still fixed on this one hour thing, i think you're being unfair.

i think you're being unfair
I was taken for an idiot and also taken advantage of, and yes you're correct, a price has to be agreed on before hand otherwise you could well be taken to the cleaners! I do feel any good and honest business person/trade employed, should always tell the client beforehand what the cost will be, otherwise, as I've found out, you might as well give the tradesman an open cheque!

Anyway, thanks for your replies!

i think you're being unfair
I was taken for an idiot and also taken advantage of, and yes you're correct, a price has to be agreed on before hand otherwise you could well be taken to the cleaners! I do feel any good and honest business person/trade employed, should always tell the client beforehand what the cost will be, otherwise, as I've found out, you might as well give the tradesman an open cheque!

Anyway, thanks for your replies!

Why didnt you ask for an estimate or quote in the first place ??

To get someone to undertake a job without knowing approximately how much it will cost is asking for problems !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back