How long have private diesels got left?

It's tough. I have a 14 plate Movano Auto. Do I sell now and get Some £££££s for it or drive until it dies.

Don't see many options new at the moment. Mainly all diesel
My daughter just bought a 66 reg LWB high roof Master, the guy had a 16 reg as well but the 66 was ULEZ compliant, the 16 wasn't, but on the log book there was no difference in any of the emissions for both vans, so what is the criteria for a ULEZ compliant vehicle ? My Santa fe is a couple of years older & is ULEZ compliant.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Depends, if you want to take your caravan from the SE up to Scotland you're going to be visiting every service station along the way. Towing roughly halves your range.

If you need to drag a trailer around 100miles or so a day then current kit can handle that without having to recharge away from wherever it lives at night. That's ignoring the better end of the market like the Tesla's that can do 370 miles or so on a charge.

Then again my main encounters with trailers are caravans holding up traffic, which EVs would fix as they're so much more powerful.

That doesn't really make sense, the speed limit is the main factor with the caravans (50mph in a 60zone and 60mph on the Motorways).

My outfit is more than capable of exceeding that but not worth a speeding fine!. Towing with an EV you're still stuck with those limits..

My daughter just bought a 66 reg LWB high roof Master, the guy had a 16 reg as well but the 66 was ULEZ compliant, the 16 wasn't, but on the log book there was no difference in any of the emissions for both vans, so what is the criteria for a ULEZ compliant vehicle ?

Not sure about petrol vehicles as some quite old bangers are ulez compliant but diesels have to meet Euro 6 standards. Many diesel vehicles up to 2016 are not compliant but 20 year old petrol engine vehicles are.

Back in the 1950s and 60s, milk was delivered, certainly in urban areas, using electric vehicles powered by lead-acid batteries. However, they required a massive charger, often using 3-phase electricity, with (re)charging times often exceeding the hours on the road! Many of us remember how slow the old milk float was, don't we. Thank goodness technology has moved on.

Both vans are diesel, as is my car.
Vans HAD to be compliant from 1st September 2016, eg 66 reg, before that it was not compulsory so 16 reg vehicles could be but many weren’t. Cars had to meet Euro 6 by September 2015 so, 65 reg onwards. It’s not to do with the emission figures, but the way the particulates are captured. Many diesel vehicles that are not ULEZ compliant show zero emissions when carrying out an MOT test.

The ranges on EVs are ok in theory, but as the batteries age, does the range drop?
They do but in everything except the Nissan leaf it's not a huge drop. All but one EV have active cooling for their batteries. Tesla are the benchmark for EVs and they're generally expected to be good for 500,000 km or so.

Tesla would be the only choice for me as a pure Electric car.

Even then towing a caravan would be "interesting".

That doesn't really make sense, the speed limit is the main factor with the caravans (50mph in a 60zone and 60mph on the Motorways).

My outfit is more than capable of exceeding that but not worth a speeding fine!. Towing with an EV you're still stuck with those limits..
Hills, but yes you would still be bound by speed limits.

The Audi Etron (French for ****) and the Jaguar E Pace would both be decent towing vehicles but they cost a fortune and already have pretty poor range for the battery size.

Nope. It's either batteries or Hydrogen and Hydrogen somehow manages to combine the high cost of batteries with the cost of unicorn tears as fuel.

The world isn't going to go back to petrol now batteries are dropping to the point where they make sense financially.

Sponsored Links
Back