How long have private diesels got left?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
As an IC engine fuel vegetable oil ticks all the green boxes, yet they seem to have actively discouraged its use . . . .

On the work van and towing question, EVs are great for hauling lots of weight. But it does drain your battery very very fast. That means lots of time charging and more stops. Or a giant battery, which costs a lot of money, with more time charging. Someone towed a caravan with a Model X and posted a blog of how it went if anyone cares.

I have no idea how many miles you'd need to do per day for a works van, but given the rate battery prices are falling, and how much cheaper they are to run, EVs will probably start making sense fairly soon.

Don't forget the bigger the battery the heavier it is, so any range gain is negated by the motor having to haul the battery that powers it.

Can you imagine the size of the battery required to power a motor which is hauling a fully laden hgv?

As an IC engine fuel vegetable oil ticks all the green boxes, yet they seem to have actively discouraged its use . . . .
Apart from all the forests they'd have to flatten in order to grow crops for oil and the impact on the environment that has... so, no, doesn't really tick all the green boxes.

Don't forget the bigger the battery the heavier it is, so any range gain is negated by the motor having to haul the battery that powers it.

Can you imagine the size of the battery required to power a motor which is hauling a fully laden hgv?
The Tesla Semi is going to be around 1MWh (give or take), which means the battery alone weighs in at about 5-6 tonnes. Which is a lot.

However putting twice the weight into a vehicle doesn't half the efficiency. Getting up to speed is harder but keeping it moving isn't much more work.

What's really mind boggling is the rate you'd need to charge an EV HGV. To do that in an hour you're talking well over 1MW peak power.

Apart from all the forests they'd have to flatten in order to grow crops for oil and the impact on the environment that has... so, no, doesn't really tick all the green boxes.

That's right, we couldn't possibly grow enough crop to replace road fuel with vegetable oil. Yet we are totally ignoring the fact that we cannot generate enough power to charge these batteries, or distribute it to the points where it's going to be needed.

We're also blissfully turning a blind eye to the environmental damage that the mining of the metals required for these batteries does to our world. But that's OK 'cos it's mostly done in poor countries . . .

The Tesla Semi is going to be around 1MWh (give or take), which means the battery alone weighs in at about 5-6 tonnes. Which is a lot.

However putting twice the weight into a vehicle doesn't half the efficiency. Getting up to speed is harder but keeping it moving isn't much more work.

What's really mind boggling is the rate you'd need to charge an EV HGV. To do that in an hour you're talking well over 1MW peak power.

There are about 11kWh in a litre of diesel (although fuel efficiency in a vehicle is only about a third)

So have I calculated right that 1MW is 90 litres equivalent? Before adjusting for efficiency?

upload_2019-11-4_8-19-28.png

Read more HERE

That's right, we couldn't possibly grow enough crop to replace road fuel with vegetable oil. Yet we are totally ignoring the fact that we cannot generate enough power to charge these batteries, or distribute it to the points where it's going to be needed.
Well we can, that's just putting in more power stations, nuclear or wind turbines. The grid isn't that worried about it
https://www.nationalgrid.com/group/case-studies/electric-dreams-future-evs
We're also blissfully turning a blind eye to the environmental damage that the mining of the metals required for these batteries does to our world. But that's OK 'cos it's mostly done in poor countries . . .
I don't think many people are blissfully happy about it, but it isn't great in a lot of places. Cobalt is probably the worst part, theres a lot of effort going in to replace it in batteries. In part for humanitarian reasons but also because it's expensive. Go market capitalism!

There are about 11kWh in a litre of diesel (although fuel efficiency in a vehicle is only about a third)

So have I calculated right that 1MW is 90 litres equivalent? Before adjusting for efficiency?
Good question, but I'm too lazy do even try doing the sums.

In a car you get somewhere between 220 and 370 miles out of 100kwh, which taking the worst of those numbers would be equivalent to a 37mpg car (comparing I pace to f pace) comes out around 25 litres. So 1MWHr should roughly equal 250 litres.

But that's a fairly inefficient EV, so perhaps closer to 400 litres equivalent.

Edit: that was a stupid way to try to calculate it. Tesla recon they can get about 500miles from 1MWh, or about a fifth to an eighth of a car.

Last edited:

Hhhmmmm Siemens don't appear to have put an estimated cost of installing the lines and feed for those lines, nor a cost of the trucks.

Or what happens if there is a power cut or some numpty steals the cables , will the trucks have enough juice to cope?

How long would it take to complete such a mammoth project and how would it be implemented?

You couldn't buy one of those electrified trucks as they start to install the lines as they wouldn't have the range to cope so that means before any one started using the lines there would have to be a massive outlay of cost. (Tax payer?)

And I'm pretty sure this system is already in place .... Let me think....... Oh yeah a railway!

Could the German railway be used to carry trucks? Be a lot cheaper

And I'm pretty sure this system is already in place .... Let me think....... Oh yeah a railway!

The railways use the track as the "Neutral" the road systems have to be twin overhead wires.

My concern would be the public having easy tresspass access to the road and the cables overhead. Railways are better protected against tresspassing,

Sponsored Links
Back