How long have private diesels got left?

Electric vehicles pulling loads and taking over from diesel is a joke imo.
6 ton is nothing.

What's stopping it? Is it that the motors aren't torque-y enough, that the batteries would get lunched in no time, both, or something else entirely?

Sponsored Links
Electric vehicles pulling loads and taking over from diesel is a joke imo.
6 ton is nothing.

What's stopping it? Is it that the motors aren't torque-y enough, that the batteries would get lunched in no time, both, or something else entirely?

Clearly not the motors, electric ones **** all over diesel for torque. Battery is the weak spot. Large batteris can push huge amounts of power but they don't last as long as a tank of diesel.

Sponsored Links
When did diesels first come into large scale production?
Probably the 1940s I would guess. And in less than 100 years the government are considering removing them from the roads.
Astonishing.

There's loads of electric HGVs being developed. Initially they'll be snapped up for the last mile deliveries.

Don't take my word for it. Daimler are trialing one, as is Volvo, Tata and probably every other large HGV manufacturer. After all the cost of the trucks is less than the maintenance and fuel costs so EVs will make sense fairly quickly. Just like the do for busses.

When did diesels first come into large scale production?
Probably the 1940s I would guess. And in less than 100 years the government are considering removing them from the roads.
Astonishing.
Yes, those flighty politicians changing their kinds after a mere 4/5ths of a century.

They should have stuck it out like Arsenic. That got a good 150 years plus before being banned in consumer goods.

Last edited:
Yes, those flighty politicians changing their kinds after a mere 4/5ths of a century.

They should have stuck it out like Arsenic. That got a good 150 years plus before being banned in consumer goods.

Diesel engines have been in use for about 120 years.

Last edited:
Diesel engines have benefited in use for about 120 years.
So, perhaps in about 30 more years they'll finally be outlawed, even though the actual use of it cratered after people realised that it's quite dangerous to people?

Spooky. :cool:

Astonishing.

Tetrethyl lead.

Asbestos

Cigarettes.

Drink-driving,

How an earth can governments try to ban something just because it causes death and disease?

Nanny state, eh?

More likely is that they will 'discover' all that electricity whizzing around is destroying the planet and driving (yep) people mad.

It's not much of a problem for wealthy nations.

here's an African joke:

"I hear an American just died of Ebola"

"Really? That's great!"

"Why?"

"There'll be a cure soon!"

And there was.

Sponsored Links
Back