How long to get a quote - losing the will to live.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have had planning and building control approval to convert internal double garage to a kitchen.

So far I have approached 10 builders, three quotes back who have quoted:
£36k, £24k, £18k and this is not including the kitchen units or white goods.

Each time I ask for a quote, people come round in a few days, then take FOREVER to give me a quote, and most are a few sentences in detail then a price. In most cases its over a month, and I have to keep chasing them. This cannot be normal right?

What am I doung wrong here folks? I would have thought saying I need some work done, in the current climate would get detailed quotes very quickly (I live in east kent).....[/b]

Sponsored Links
they're builders

most of them are not much good at office work (or planning and scheduling, or change control, or costing)

Incidentally, builders often go bankrupt.

do you have any friends, family or neighbours who recommend a builder? A good one might be quite busy, but may also have got the hang of work scheduling.

36k to convert a double garage to kitchen excluding white goods and kitchen units???? I'll come and do it. I could stop over in the Hilton for a couple of weeks.

Seriously though, it's a bit of a fallacy that builders are sitting around waiting for the phone to ring. All the good ones I regularly deal with are busy and quoting 6 months or more for any new work.

I would have a look around your area for any extensions or building work done in the last 12 months or so. Knock on the door and ask how the builders were and if any good ask for a contact number. Then call the builder and say that so-and-so gave you their number.

It would also be better to have a decent specification of what you want to achieve. If you are getting quotes over that range they are obviously all quoting for completely different things. A good spec will cost you £500 or so but it will save a lot of trouble in the end.

Sponsored Links
I have architect drawings; and 3 page word document with specifics on what is to be done e.g. ehrer pipe to go, electrical sockets to go, floor type ect.

Not mentioned to them anyone else has come round - individually they just seem to take ages.

The friend recommendation route - that was the one who sayed in once sentence on a letter a £18 price and no detail...

You specify that the quote has to be returned within 10 days or by a certain date.

If you have prepared a detailed specification, then you don't need a big document in response - unless they state otherwise, they are going to build it to your spec.

If, during the survey they say "we'll do (this bit) (like this)" include a written confirmation to them of what has been agreed that is additional or different to your basic spec.

Hi

£36k, £24k, £18k
(I live in east kent).....[/b]
Cheap one must be from the infamous Kent Travellers ;) Give em the job we don`t want them in Sussex- ours are OK guys ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back