how long to wait after rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to refurb my bathroom, which currently has tile on plaster that is not in great condition judging by what I can see under the bath. I'll be knocking off the old plaster and rendering, probably about an inch but will depend what I find under the plaster. How long should one wait for new render to dry before it is tiled? And should I tank it first?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Conventional render base should be left 4 weeks before you attempt to tile over it. You can tile straight over the render, you could tank the wet areas for additional peace of mind but it’s not really essential unless it’s a wet room. You can use a quickset render but it’s rather more expensive; don’t use base plaster, it’s not suitable as a tile base; another option to save time is to fix backer boards & tile onto those.

Read the Tiling Sticky & Tiling forum archive posts, it may prevent you making potentially expensive mistakes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back