How Many Changes in One Building Control Application?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a structural engineer in to look at a couple of walls, and he's made some recommendations:
  1. Move purlin support in loft from Wall A to Wall B (they are approx. 1m apart)
    1. After which I can remove Wall A, as it would no longer bear the load of the roof
  2. Bolt 2 new roof joists of identical dimensions to the one in situ to the one in situ
    1. After which I can remove Wall C (which sits under Wall A, so I'll do it in this order)
  3. Wall D isn't load bearing, so I can remove it

I also want to create 2 new doorways in load bearing walls on the first floor, so I'll need to install some lintels (I asked the structural engineer about this, but he said he didn't have to spec those as they would be "standard" (which means very little to me at this point, will need to research more).

I hope to do all of this work myself, and to keep costs down even more I was hoping to keep the costs related to building control down too. So can I put in a single application specifying all the above to the best of my ability and then just ticking them off as I go along (which might take a year)?

Or are their rules, and will I have to file multiple applications?

Sponsored Links
If you are 100% confident that what you are doing is correct, you can go ahead on just a building notice and get the BC to sign off as you go along. No plans then need to be submitted at all. The risk is you do it wrong and have to re-do it.

If using Local Authority Building Control, you have the choice of submitting a Building Notice or Full Plans application, both of which are quite similar in fees. To calculate the application fee, you’d need to have an idea on the estimated cost of work. Once you know that, refer to your LABC’s fees tables.

For the works you’re proposing, you’ll be ok with a Building Notice application and just describe the works as internal alterations.

as internal alterations

This IMHO is good advice - don't be too specific. When I did a recent simple extension on a notice it was described as "new extension, new roof covering (which I was doing at the same time) and associated works" - the latter covered a multitude of stuff which in due course was all covered by the completion certificate.

Sponsored Links
You can put as much work on one application as you like, some authorities discount multiple work schemes, although in this case it all falls under the same category of internal structural alterations.
(I asked the structural engineer about this, but he said he didn't have to spec those as they would be "standard" (which means very little to me at this point, will need to research more).
He just means the spans involved are relatively short so a bog standard of the shelf lintol will be OK.

Also be aware that removing walls may sometimes affect means of escape, ie opening up a ground floor so the staircase is no longer enclosed. and additional work may be required to compensate.

If you are 100% confident.
I work in IT, but do a lot of DIY. I'm confident I can execute the instructions from the Structural Engineer, but that's it. Is there a chance that Building Control will disagree with the Structural Engineer's suggestions?

Is there a chance that Building Control will disagree with the Structural Engineer's suggestions

I would say very unlikely if the SE is a qualified engineer.

I work in IT, but do a lot of DIY. I'm confident I can execute the instructions from the Structural Engineer, but that's it. Is there a chance that Building Control will disagree with the Structural Engineer's suggestions?
Depends on the authority, some have an in house engineer or external consultants they send them to be checked. others just accept them providing they have been done by a chartered engineer.

If using Local Authority Building Control, you have the choice of submitting a Building Notice or Full Plans application, both of which are quite similar in fees.
How much details do I need to provide in Full Plans? Can I just create a Word document, list all the things I intend to do at a fairly high level, referencing the Structural Engineer's recommendations, detailing the materials (lintel X for doors, joists of Y dimensions to match existing,..) I intend to use and maybe a picture of the existing purlin support and a note saying I intend to just replicate that on a different wall?
Or am I better off in my scenario going for Building Notice, specifying "Internal Alterations" and nothing more.

To calculate the application fee, you’d need to have an idea on the estimated cost of work. Once you know that, refer to your LABC’s fees tables.
As I'm planning to do it all myself, the cost will literally be 2 lintels + 2 joists, so I expect it to be less than 100 GBP. Or do I need to account for my time and tools or something else?

Or am I better off in my scenario going for Building Notice, specifying "Internal Alterations" and nothing more

IMHO this, but see what others say because some here are professionals and I'm DIY. Why do you want BC to "sign off your plans"?. Only necessary a) if you are not sure they are correct or b) if you need to issue them to someone else to do the work according to the plans. If DIYing to SE's design, I say just do a notice.

He just means the spans involved are relatively short so a bog standard of the shelf lintol will be OK.
I just noticed I only got told this verbally and it's not in the report. Should I ask him to add it in, just to be on the safe side? Or do door openings (both are in single skin block walls) always fairly standard, using a standard lintel?

Also be aware that removing walls may sometimes affect means of escape, ie opening up a ground floor so the staircase is no longer enclosed. and additional work may be required to compensate.
Thanks for the heads up. We're also adding some walls and changing the staircase. So will investigate further. I was thinking of maybe going for "Internal Alterations and associated works" to be as vague and catch-all as possible.

The councils around me will only accept works on one application if they are related, or will combine and charge additional fees

For instance if you are applying for an extension and want to insert a beam for the knock through that's the same work, and that's fine it's one job. But if the beam is going in another part of the house and nothing to do with the extension - you're just doing it at the same time while the builders are there, they want an additional fee.

Just word your application as "internal structural alterations" or suchlike and in general terms, and imply it's to the same area rather than mention specific locations. Don't mention associated works, because the first question is "what are the associated works?"

Bear in mind that this is not just structural works, but potentially affects means of escape too. So be sure that if so, you are aware of it as the structural engineer won't even consider anything other than structural issues. Likewise for things like electrics, if that applies.

Yes, as long as you use a suitable off-the-shelf lintel in a standard way, you don't need calculations to justify it.

For instance if you are applying for an extension and want to insert a beam for the knock through that's the same work, and that's fine it's one job. But if the beam is going in another part of the house and nothing to do with the extension - you're just doing it at the same time while the builders are there, they want an additional fee.
The additional work can be on the same app even of its been done at a later date, once the app has commenced the other works can be done at anytime with no time limits. We gave a 50% on the additional work fee,
Thanks for the heads up. We're also adding some walls and changing the staircase. So will investigate further. I was thinking of maybe going for "Internal Alterations and associated works" to be as vague and catch-all as possible.
Are you changing (replacing) the stairs or repositioning it The main issues would be if you were creating an open plan so that you create an inner room where previously there was none or if there is already an open plan area, opening up the kitchen into this area increases the risk of a fire to the access room.

The additional work can be on the same app even of its been done at a later date,
Yes, but I suspect that the real question and issue for the OP, is not the admin side of things whether an application must be for one thing or can be for multiple works, but the costs of multiple works either applied for separately or on a single application.

So the best thing is for the OP to do, is make one application and make it appear that the work is all related to one thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back