How Many Changes in One Building Control Application?

We gave a 50% on the additional work fee.
Is this an answer on what cost I should add to it? Or is this related to what the council charged you?

Are you changing (replacing) the stairs or repositioning it The main issues would be if you were creating an open plan so that you create an inner room where previously there was none or if there is already an open plan area, opening up the kitchen into this area increases the risk of a fire to the access room.
Not creating an open plan. The hallway with the staircase in it will see 2 changes to it, but it won't be opened up in any way:
  1. A small area will be boxed off with a stud wall to create a downstairs toilet, intention is to use 50mm by 75mm timbers with 9 - 12mm plasterboard to not loose too much space
  2. I intend to remove the staircase and put a new one in to the same opening, but turning it 90 degrees. Plan is to get this made and then just fit it.

Sponsored Links
  • A small area will be boxed off with a stud wall to create a downstairs toilet, intention is to use 50mm by 75mm timbers with 9 - 12mm plasterboard to not loose too much space
Installation of a WC requires B Regs so lump it onto the app.
  1. I intend to remove the staircase and put a new one in to the same opening, but turning it 90 degrees. Plan is to get this made and then just fit it.
Installation of a stair doesn't require an app, unless it compromises means of escape, or involves structural work, if your replacing it in the same opening with no new trimmers etc then it won't need B Regs,
Is this an answer on what cost I should add to it? Or is this related to what the council charged you?
It related to a discount on the fee payable for multiple work schemes, but not all authorities do this, where I live don't do it, but where I used to work we did this.
Not creating an open plan. The hallway with the staircase in it will see 2 changes to it, but it won't be opened up in any way:
Sounds like means of escape aren't an issue then.

How much details do I need to provide in Full Plans? Can I just create a Word document, list all the things I intend to do at a fairly high level, referencing the Structural Engineer's recommendations, detailing the materials (lintel X for doors, joists of Y dimensions to match existing,..) I intend to use and maybe a picture of the existing purlin support and a note saying I intend to just replicate that on a different wall?
Or am I better off in my scenario going for Building Notice, specifying "Internal Alterations" and nothing more.

As I'm planning to do it all myself, the cost will literally be 2 lintels + 2 joists, so I expect it to be less than 100 GBP. Or do I need to account for my time and tools or something else?

Don’t bother with a FP application. Just submit a BN application, which is more than enough for this type of work.

To calculate the BR fees, you’d need to calculate the cost as if it wasn’t a self build. Otherwise, builders working on their own homes would pay peanuts to have BR sign off. Check your LABC’s fees to see how they’re broken down, e.g. less than £1k, £1k-£5k, etc...

Once you’ve submitted the BN application, Building Control will get in contact should they require any further information but the engineers’ details/calculations is what they’d be looking for.

Once you’ve submitted the BN application, Building Control will get in contact should they require any further information
No they won't. A building notice is not checked for information like a full plans application.

It's registered and then left until the applicant asks for an inspection.

So the onus is on the applicant to make sure the work is done correctly first, and they may be asked to justify the work afterwards, not provide information in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes, hence why I was a little confused as to why BC were requesting additional (structural) details/calculations for a BN application I had submitted.

Yes, hence why I was a little confused as to why BC were requesting additional (structural) details/calculations for a BN application I had submitted.
As you correctly state this does happen and is allowed for in the legislation, although its on a case by case judgement, for example calcs were always requested at the time a submission was made for any loft conversions at my last authority, in some instances I have flagged up the foundation design where I know there is made up ground etc, to be honest its easier for both a BCO and builder to catch this early than been called on site to a strip found only to tell someone they need a raft/piles design.

As you correctly state this does happen and is allowed for in the legislation, although its on a case by case judgement, for example calcs were always requested at the time a submission was made for any loft conversions at my last authority, in some instances I have flagged up the foundation design where I know there is made up ground etc, to be honest its easier for both a BCO and builder to catch this early than been called on site to a strip found only to tell someone they need a raft/piles design.
On building notices?

On building notices?
You can in theory ask for exactly the same information as a full plans app, this is in the legislation, whilst it is unlikely anyone will ever ask for a full set of drawings, it is not that unusual to request information at submission stage, particularly with examples I outlined, saves a lot of hassle for the BCO/owner/contractor.

It didn’t bother me in my case as we had the engineers’ calculations anyway and he just needed to provide a couple of additional pages.

Ran in to an interesting issue. Was just about to submit the building notice, but they don't provide any fees. Instead, they provide this:
Building regulation approval fees
You will also need to pay a fee with your application. Details of your proposed works may need to be supplied for us to provide you with a price.

Payments can be made by phone using a card and calling ***.

Alternatively you can send a cheque payable to *** Borough Council to the above address.

If you do not know how much the fee is, please email *** or phone *** to get a quotation.

Any ideas as to what questions I should expect and what I should say? I was hoping to just put down "internal alterations" and pay a fee I found online.

To calculate the BR fees, you’d need to calculate the cost as if it wasn’t a self build. Otherwise, builders working on their own homes would pay peanuts to have BR sign off. Check your LABC’s fees to see how they’re broken down, e.g. less than £1k, £1k-£5k, etc...
Additionally, how do I figure out how much the works would cost me? I don't really fancy calling a number of builders for a quote and wasting their time and mine. Especially as my experience is 80% wont' ever get back to me.

Additionally, how do I figure out how much the works would cost me

IMHO If you are DIY it's the cost of the materials + any external costs. You can price your labour how you like. In local LA the bands are quite wide - < £1K, £1K to £5K, £5K - £10K, £10K to £20K, so you don't have to be that accurate. Strange if your LA doesn't post a schedule of fees online.

I wonder whether they intentionally make you call now? As clearly those phone lines are unmanned and nobody is available. This means I don't know what the fee is, and I can't apply. Which is a real pain in the backside, as I have a week off for this next week, but now I can't get started.

Just use one of their price bands for what you think you’d expect to realistically pay for the works. If anything, go lower and if BC don’t agree, they’ll ask you for additional fees. It may be a little more difficult to get a refund as a result of an overpayment hence going lower.

I would, but they don't publish them anywhere. You need to call.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back