How many lights in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I'm getting to the point of wiring my lights in the garage, but I'm not sure how many to have!

It's going to be a workshop so I do need plenty of light.

It's 10m X 3m, so was thinking of running 6ft single fittings down the whole length, on say, every 3rd joist (16" centres)

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Your plan only works if your workspace is also in the middle. Is that where you are going to work?

Put the light where you need it. You do not want the light behind you, or you'll be working in your own shadow.

If you're using it as a workshop then it's virtually impossible to have too much lighting, BUT split them up into groups with several switches so that you can have a lower light level and energy use if you're just going in there to fetch something.

If you intend to use any rotating machinery in your workshop then you must make sure that any fluorescent lights are of the high frequency ballast type, not the older magnetic ballast type, as these can cause a stroboscopic effect making rotating machines appear still!

Need a combination of lights. Florescent tubes are good for low shadows so I sould have one from each joints. Then use spots and point lights above the bench and spaced along the walls for extra light.

Whats also hand is to put some sockets along the roof joists too , you can use it to drop lights, chargers, drills, etc directly downwards and not trailing along the floor.

I find some sockets above the shelving handy for charging drills, lights etc. Goes without saying you want at least 2 double sockets on the workbench.

Kev

Sponsored Links
Your plan only works if your workspace is also in the middle. Is that where you are going to work?
True in principle (and particularly if we were talking about 'point light sources'), but with 6ft tubes across a 3m wide garage, if the tubes are centred 'in the middle', their ends will actually be quite close to the edges, so it's probably less of an issue.

The OP's proposal to put 6ft tubes every 3rd joist (48", about 1.2m) would presumably mean 7 or 8 tubes in the garage - which sounds a bit 'generous' to me.

Kind Regards, John

Whats also hand is to put some sockets along the roof joists too , you can use it to drop lights, chargers, drills, etc directly downwards and not trailing along the floor.
I have various sockets dangling on extending spiral cables, which are very useful - they 'hook up' when not in use (a bit out-of-focus in foreground - excuse the rest of the mess!):

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back