How many times can you apply skim?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at a job a friend has had done.

Might sound a stupid question, but what was supposed to be the final coat is bad (gouges, pit marks, original wall and paint evident in several places). The last coat has been on 2-5 days.
IF this were to be gone over again, is there an issue with the drying time/bonding of any further coats? Can you apply multiple coats this far apart, or would the current have to be left longer to dry fully? Would you PVA or go straight onto it? I'm not sure how the integrity of the coats would hold up.

Sponsored Links
Thing is, if the finish surface looks so bad what might be the state of the prepped surface below the skim?
Even the background could be on an unprepared wall?

But, to answer your question, yes you can skim over skim.
Mix PVA 50/50 with water and allow to dry on the wall then, with the same mix, apply another coat, and when its tacky start to skim.

When you skimmed the wall, did you put on one coat of plaster, or two.

Thanks to both replies.

Just to reiterate, it's not a job I've done. It's a bad job I'm inspecting, so I don't know the number of coats or the backing/bonding situation.

I was asking the question with regards to it being redone by the same person. Now, the overriding factor is that is they didn't do it right the first time, so they probably can't correct it on the second.

I was wondering about the situation re another coat bonding to see if this is yet another reason to not allow it - which is my position anyway based on the above.

The 'bad' element is pitting/gouging/trowel lines (although is relatively flat), missing plaster on internal corners (stopping short in jagged lines) so I THINK this is a manual dexterity issue, rather than 'plaster' issue..

Sponsored Links
Ahh, yes, don't let him redo a bad job, it'll only get worse. The reason I asked on the number of coats, is that you put your first coat on, then as it starts to get firm, you put a second coat on, and that gives a more even finish, but it sounds as though his plastering /dexterity skills leave a lot to be desired. A reskim should be sufficient, and you can either discuss it with him, and give him another chance - at his cost - or ask for a refund, and get someone else to do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back