How many times will an external alarm battery go off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've disconnected my alarm inside and the ringer outside, but now the battery alarm is randomly going off every now and then. 3 times so far. It's difficult for me to get to. Any idea how many times it might go off before it dies?

thanks

AH

Sponsored Links
Probably coming up low battery and you have not disconnected it in the main panel ?

battery alarm?, what panel?, what bell?

I have disconnected my alarm system. It is an Infinite house alarm system. The main panel is disconnected at the mains, and the battery in it has run down (so no issues there). I am referring to the battery in the alarm unit on the outside wall. The alarm that is going off (on the outside of the house) is the low battery alarm for this (not the main house alarm, which can't go off because it is disconnected). It is a lower pitch alarm that goes off for 20 mins randomly every month or so at random times. So the question is, any idea how many times these outside low battery alarms go off before they run out?

I have no intention of switching this system back on.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
For .....ever..... get ladders out and disconnect it ....bet neighbors love you ...

if i had a ladder.. ...i doubt they've noticed. It's right by my bedroom window and it took me a while to work out it was definitely coming from my alarm.

sounds like you knackered then, the bell cant see the panel hence it keeps going off.

(THATS WHY ITS IMPORTANT TO SAY WHAT IT IS).

I don't fit these as they are designed for diy, so not 100% familiar. Ie it could still alarm if it was deleted off the system and for that you would need eng code and the panel powered up.

ladder, bell off wall take battery out, it will go on possibly for months, other wise.

its a wireless bell designed for a battery change every few years with x number of activations, periodically it will probably check its connection to panel and sound off when it cant find it.

best option for you is ladders and battery out of bell.

The ringer is actually cabled to the main panel. I don't think it has anything to do with not seeing the panel. The panel has been dead for months and there has been no issue. It's just started to do the random lower tone rings, so i think it's just the low battery indicator contained in the wall unit. I will just have to try and lean out the window and get the battery out then as you are both suggesting. No danger of the main alarm ringing as i disconnected the ringer a while back. Thanks.

no idea how long it will last as don't know which hardwired bell it has or if it has any power going to it, which you suggest it hasn't.

only way to ensure it shuts up is to disconnect all power to the bell, which has already been suggested several times.

unfortunately its like asking how long is a piece of string, remember your already saying its been disconnected (not properly obviously) for months?

if its a nuisance the local council can instruct an engineer to take it out of commission without your consent and you will be liable for all costs, just be aware of that it could include gaining entry to the property!.

Suggest you borrow a ladder, or pay for someone to disconnect it properly, asap.

I cant see it being loud if its had no power for that length of time (months) and would have thought it be long since dead, but don't know which bell box.

Some of the infinite panels has a small box ( psu inc battery ) with an aerial on top , radio linked to the panel , the bell could then be any brand ...

For info the random alarming of the low battery stopped after another 5 or 6 20min rings (at least whilst i was there - i expect it was a few more, but it basically gave up after a couple of weeks).

lucky it wasn't reported as a nuisance, as the council could have charged to have it taken out of commission if its a nuisance.

it gave up after a few weeks 20 minute rings several times a day, mad.

It wasn't a nuisance as it was very quiet, therefore there was no danger of it being reported. Also, it wasn't going off every day at all. Just needed a little patience, that's all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back