How many women tackle DIY?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many women tackle DIY, including assembling flat pack furniture?

Is there anything you won't have a go at and would rather pay or persuade someone else to get the job done?

Sponsored Links
In my experience (as a man living with women) - quite a few keep tools around and aren't afraid to do the basics. Probably just as many amateur diy'ers as men, percentage-wise.

Very rare to find them doing trades or professional building work though.

Now - borderline sexism bit. Are men are more likely to be craftsmen because they are able to focus more strongly one a single task, rather than the women's renowned ability to multitask?

Or are there fewer women in building because they do better academically so don't need to get grubby and work hard in all weathers because they can't get a nice job inside? :)

My gal has a go, but fitting a washing machine front insert baffled her. I can fix a Playstation, she can fix a broken computer mouse, due to her dextrous fingers. I think women are more dextrous to men, but you don't see women doing soldering, or not in Europe.

[quote="Mickymoody" but you don't see women doing soldering, or not in Europe.[/quote]
Try telling that to the women where i used to work.You would have been lynched. They worked on printed circuit boards all day.

Sponsored Links
My gal has a go, but fitting a washing machine front insert baffled her. I can fix a Playstation, she can fix a broken computer mouse, due to her dextrous fingers. I think women are more dextrous to men, but you don't see women doing soldering, or not in Europe.

I think in the rest of the world, as I say, women are more dextrous, so in Europe, not for women, the rest of the world, yes.

My wife was an inspector/tester at an electronics factory for a number of years and can still fine solder better than any man I know in our electronics department at work.
She's a dab hand at self assembly as well.

Set my girlfriend up with router, jig and got her to do her own worktop mitred joints - with a little help... She loved it !

Now - borderline sexism bit. Are men are more likely to be craftsmen because they are able to focus more strongly one a single task, rather than the women's renowned ability to multitask?

Women multitask?????????????
Haven't met one yet who can have a headache and sex at the same time.

A friend of mine recently mentioned that his wife was "very good at multi-half-assing".
I replied, "I think you might be mis-pronouncing that".
He said, "No, I am most certainly not!"

Women multitask?????????????
Haven't met one yet who can have a headache and sex at the same time.

Love it. Being able to wash up and stand at the sink at the same time, might be pushing the sexism bit. But we love 'em.

As a project manager of very large construction projects around the uk and working for 1 of the biggest construction companies in the world i can say that the number of women working as site managers in heavy construction has gone through the roof in the last 5 years or so to the point we now have as many women training to be site or project managers as we have men at the moment so look out lads you are going to be swamped with them soon.

As a project manager of very large construction projects around the uk and working for 1 of the biggest construction companies in the world i can say that the number of women working as site managers in heavy construction has gone through the roof in the last 5 years or so to the point we now have as many women training to be site or project managers as we have men at the moment so look out lads you are going to be swamped with them soon.

To be fair, that's been happening for the last 100 years, to the point of sexism against men by the ladies. There was a culture of the Chippendales in the '80's, if a similar story about men watching women perform on stage, men are pervs. Watch Loose Women TV program for men bashing. The breast charity run, only women are allowed, men can get breast cancer, but not allowed to participate. Female comics talk about genatalia, but a no no for male comics. Sexism against men.

A male only race would be banned, but ladies are allowed a female only race?

Well, I have taken on 2 run down pubs and vamped them up. The second I did the work on myself, mostly decorating and sorting out floor boards, I wired up chandeliers too but can't remember the blue brown to black red code now.
Just installing a cooker myself in a house so must find out the way to wire it up to the socket. gotta do these things myself.

Most things can be done by women, but strength is needed at times and men are clearly better at the hard work.

I'm just wondering why this thread has ended up in DIY Disasters ;)

My OH is keen to learn and is happy to do any sort of DIY; like everyone starting out in DIY, she does a lot of learning and I'm trying to teach her the mistakes I made so she doesn't have to (e.g. not wearing proper protective gear).

The downside for the average-sized woman vs. the average-sized man is that the average man is stronger, so a job that a man could do in a controlled and considered fashion turns into an endeavour of BFI for a woman.

Fortunately my OH now accepts that an 18-stone man can swing a hammer harder than an 8-stone woman, and now is happy for me to help when she struggles (her pride used to get in the way!).

Of course it's a generalisation; I know a few couples where the woman is considerably bigger and stronger than the man.

Sponsored Links
Back