What DIY job ...

By any chance were you listening to that controversial Clarkson chappie? I'm sure he said thst or something very similar.
I believe the original quote was from a traffic cop on one of the 'fly on the wall' progs.

Sponsored Links
If it's in the floor, this video shows how it's done. Not exactly HD, but drill a few holes in the cement first, then keep gently chipping away until you break the first small section out.

Is there anyone on here who doesn't have an angle grinder? With a Bosch from under £50, ask Santa.

Is there anyone on here who doesn't have an angle grinder? With a Bosch from under £50, ask Santa.

I've got several angle grinders but on the two occasions I've had to tackle that problem, Regans vid is the only way. It's a concrete floor so even if you cut around the porcelain outlet with a grinder, you've still got another 2 - 3inches inside the soil pipe, set into cement.

Sponsored Links
I have done instructional videos, but not for numpty stuff like that!

I watched a plumber do the first bog similar. I did a few in renters. Are you seriously telling me you don't keep a small AG without a guard, with a disc worn small so it gets in to things? Whether you're cutting the bell off or leaving it, you can get a lot cut or gone with an angle grinder of one size or another.
Sure as heck wouldn't start with a screwdriver.
I doubt I'll ever do another. Doing the thing is one thing, getting up again after is another...

Last edited:
Bit like horse riders in the country wearing browns and greens and blending into the hedgerows
Why do our ancient laws even let these animals onto the roads, for goodness sake. A horse has zero brakes, no brake lights or headlamps and some thoroughbreds are as jittery as fook. Oh, and they shít wherever they want too.

Find a field somewhere, FFS.

Edited to add: I always respect their presence and slow down though. (y) :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Is there anyone on here who doesn't have an angle grinder?
Its more to do with how much you spend on the blades. We have a minimum of about £70 for 9" diamond fellas. Ours have to be multi-purpose cutting. I keep a cheap blade (free with a Makita) in the garage to demonstrate just how bad cheap diamond blades are by comparison. We're lucky that our supplier is quite savvy, having come through the practical ranks. You won't get that in B&Q, unfortunately.

mate caught couple of fingers with his angle grinder last week quite deep cuts stitched up etc but end of finger died so top of it amputated couple of days later

I have done instructional videos, but not for numpty stuff like that!

I watched a plumber do the first bog similar. I did a few in renters. Are you seriously telling me you don't keep a small AG without a guard, with a disc worn small so it gets in to things? Whether you're cutting the bell off or leaving it, you can get a lot cut or gone with an angle grinder of one size or another.
Sure as heck wouldn't start with a screwdriver.
I doubt I'll ever do another. Doing the thing is one thing, getting up again after is another...

So it's 4 to 1 against AGs. ;)

Seriously, I can see how an AG may possibly speed up the first part of the job. But picking out the last bits of porecelain from the bog's spigot and carefully chipping away the mortar to preserve the fragile CI or glazed outer collar with a power tool isn't possible.

And he didn't actually start with a screwdriver. He would have carefully smashed the WC's spigot with a hammer, before drilling out some of the mortar to ease the pressure while he chipped away with the screwdriver.

So, screwdriver or grinder, which one's best?

Last edited:
So it's 4 to 1 against AGs. ;)

Seriously, I can see how an AG may possibly the first part of the job. But picking out the last bits of porecelain from the bog's spigot and carefully chipping away the mortar to preserve the fragile CI or glazed outer collar with a power tool isn't possible.

And he didn't actually start with a screwdriver. He would have carefully smashed the WC's spigot, before drilling out some of the mortar to ease the pressure while he chipped away with the screwdriver. The plumber who presents the vid, and the one doing the work have decades of experience between them.

So, screwdriver or grinder, which one's best?
"So, screwdriver or grinder, which one's best?" Silly question. Nobody said you would do the whole job with one tool..

I only left a collar on once I think. Then like in the video it can be simpler, a drill does most of it. But a disc still could be useful to cut radials.

As I said you can get most of it out of the way with the help of a grinder. Some would smash the pan spigot with a hammer, and blame it if the socket broke. Others would cut into the porcelain glaze first. It all depends on the situation, what you've done and found and seen before, whether you bothered to get a better tool or not, etc etc.
When /if you get to a tight bit with the porcelain down inside the clay, you can use a small, worn disc to cut into the inside surface at an angle so a segment breaks downwards/ inwards easier. You can tap the bits towards the fresh air of your cut. Depends - I remember one which crumbled so it was easy. In the video he hasn't got any porcelain in the clay pipe itself.
You never tried a cutter? OK.
Sure you'd need whatever other tools.

Too many "plumbers" insist there's only one way because they never thought about it and never saw anyone else. And they've only got a hammer and a blunt screwdriver. And they have written on their van that they're expert at plastering, tiling, electrics, gas, you name it. Once you've used a dozen or so "plumbers" you get to see the differences. Some are brilliant but... Some even cut their fingers off, they're so stupid.
That's how I got to do more of my own than I ever really wanted to.

Last edited:
Why do our ancient laws even let these animals onto the roads, for goodness sake. A horse has zero brakes, no brake lights or headlamps and some thoroughbreds are as jittery as fook. Oh, and they shít wherever they want too.

Find a field somewhere, FFS.

Edited to add: I always respect their presence and slow down though. (y) :mrgreen:

Can't be any enjoyment for either the horse or rider, either.

The riding of horses is an extremely enjoyable pastime, enjoyed by those who can & cannot afford it.

I'm just guessing here, but I'm guessing that the only time you have ever interacted with a horse, the horse took an instant dislike to you.

The riding of horses is an extremely enjoyable pastime, enjoyed by those who can & cannot afford it.

I'm just guessing here, but I'm guessing that the only time you have ever interacted with a horse, the horse took an instant dislike to you.

Wrong; they are in the field behind, and come up to the fence for a fuss.

I have (and try to avoid) riding both road and mountain bikes on roads, as it is stressful and thoroughly unenjoyable - every passing car, van, truck could have your number on it. Personally, that would be little different on a horse.

Like sitting on a bench outside a pub on a busy road, compared to looking out across a canal, river, or wide open countryside. I'd sit inside, or find another pub.

"I'm cringing that he's not wearing gloves. When you think of the years' worth of ****e that has gone down there. Tappy'll probably eat his sandwiches after this job.
Real plumbing."

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Back