What DIY job ...

a spike will work till complacency and the fact you haven't yet died [same thing] turn into a bubble off security through nothing going wrong we are all very intelligent and both very, very thick as learning can only happen when somthing goes wrong then we are reminded we are far far les aware[i wont say less intelegent ]than we think we are so things will go wrong

we all think we are intelligent and sensible and are reasonable at perceiving risk the simple facts are no one is perfect the more perfect you think you are the more dangerous you will tend to be
I don't know how a 6" spike pointed at your throat can ever induce a sense of complacency.

I spend a lot of £money sponsoring young & upcoming folk in motorsports. One of my biggest fears is they should crash, burn & die during that journey that I have sponsored.

So why do I still do it???

Hear me now. Nobody involved is "complacent".

Sponsored Links
I don't know how a 6" spike pointed at your throat can ever induce a sense of complacency.

I spend a lot of £money sponsoring young & upcoming folk in motorsports. One of my biggest fears is they should crash, burn & die during that journey that I have sponsored.

So why do I still do it???

Hear me now. Nobody involved is "complacent".
its more a case off the obvious danger merges into the background as no longer a problem when its actually the accident waiting to happen but off no consequence in the meantime as far greater actual problems are suffocating your ability to be aware off all risks and keep them in correct proportion to danger

Last edited:
I would have liked to buy a plot of land and build a really energy-efficient house to retire into.

But I have neither the funds or the ability now. I'm worn out!
You failed then.

BTW, I know a bloke who bought a plot of land, built his dream home & he was well into his 80's.

I'm just guessing here, but I think you gave up too easily.

its more a case off the obvious danger merges into the background as no longer a problem when its actually the accident waiting to happen but off no consequence in the meantime as far greater actual problems are suffocating your ability to be aware all risks and keep them in correct proportion to danger
Your "obvious danger" isn't always a real world danger though is it?

When I watch a 14yr old throw a motorcycle into a corner at 120mph the "danger" I see is something that is totally different to what their mother see's.

Sponsored Links
Well, the biggest hurdle is amassing the dosh.

If I ain't got that, no amount of willingness is gonna build it!

Well, the biggest hurdle is amassing the dosh.

If I ain't got that, no amount of willingness is gonna build it!
You never had the "dosh" 'cos you were averse to the risk of accumulating the "dosh".

That's OK, it's one of the path's to choose in your life & you chose to take that one.

Your "obvious danger" isn't always a real world danger though is it?

When I watch a 14yr old throw a motorcycle into a corner at 120mph the "danger" I see is something that is totally different to what their mother see's.
not sure what your point is in reality i have an opinion it is never more than a opinion based on 68 years off life
i never claim to be be other than someone with an opinion now those that look at my posts will see no knee jerk thought no sounding room thoughts i hope a fully ballance veiw to both sides to get to the [i wont say truth/facts ] but to well presented well rounded opinion based on information

You never had the "dosh" 'cos you were averse to the risk of accumulating the "dosh".

That's OK, it's one of the path's to choose in your life & you chose to take that one.
Dunno what you mean.

Risk averse?

I've never earned mega money, despite hard work.

I've also been dealt some ****ty blows in life, which have hindered my capabilities. I never chose to take those. They were delivered, like it or not.

Were there fewer road accidents in those days?
Probably, but when I learned to drive in the late 60s there were a lot less cars on the roads. BTW the J2 had a smler brother, the J4.

There's a school of thought that says you shouldn't be comfortable in a road vehicle; it leads to a false sense of security and a disregard of the outside world. Cars are too slick now and drivers too pampered.
In that case maybe everyone should have to spend 6 months riding a motorbike before graduating to cars like the traffic cops did at one time

I'd like to make an oak panel in the style of Grindling Gibbons to install above the fireplace in the front room - trouble is it'd end up looking like something done by the Funky Gibbons, so maybe best left for another lifetime...:cautious:

BMC - that was the one I couldn't remember.

Were there fewer road accidents in those days? There's a school of thought that says you shouldn't be comfortable in a road vehicle; it leads to a false sense of security and a disregard of the outside world. Cars are too slick now and drivers too pampered.
Wife reckons and I'm in partial agreement the evolution of vehicle controls to touch screens, touch pads or buttons on the steering wheel is not a safe development, she much prefers less controls of the rotary or lever types with positive detents (clicks).

Sponsored Links
Back