What DIY job ...

I have a 1960s downstairs loo that is cemented in to the waste pipe which is too far away from the wall. I'd like to replace it, but am worried that I will break the clay pipe.

Sponsored Links
BMC - that was the one I couldn't remember.

Were there fewer road accidents in those days? There's a school of thought that says you shouldn't be comfortable in a road vehicle; it leads to a false sense of security and a disregard of the outside world. Cars are too slick now and drivers too pampered.
When I was doing my motorbike lessons they referred to 'defensive riding' i.e. ride as though other vehicles can't see you. In other words, always be on your guard, especially when passing junctions and the like.

I think it's quite a good approach to take regardless of the vehicle you're driving/riding.

a spike will work till complacency and the fact you haven't yet died [same thing] turn into a bubble off security through nothing going wrong we are all very intelligent and both very, very thick as learning can only happen when somthing goes wrong then we are reminded we are far far les aware[i wont say less intelegent ]than we think we are so things will go wrong

we all think we are intelligent and sensible and are reasonable at perceiving risk the simple facts are no one is perfect the more perfect you think you are the more dangerous you will tend to be----
---although with more awareness training and understanding with the ability to absorb and accept we can reduce risk greatly ---or at least the ones that can listen can (y)
exactly - risk compensation is a temporary benefit. Its like riding a bicycle without a helmet, if you usually wear one. After a while you will get used to it and the risk compensations evaporates. There is certainly no evidence that making vehicles less safe, saves lives.

When I was doing my motorbike lessons they referred to 'defensive riding' i.e. ride as though other vehicles can't see you. In other words, always be on your guard, especially when passing junctions and the like.

I think it's quite a good approach to take regardless of the vehicle you're driving/riding.

First-born has been driving for over 2 yrs, second-born will be starting in just over a year (where does the time go?)

What I've always told them to bear in mind, when on the road:

- they haven't seen you
- if they have, they don't care anyway (at best), and
- at worst, they're out to kill you

Everyone out there is an idiot; some intentionally, and some more than others.

Sponsored Links
I used say that everyone should pass the Motorcycle test before getting a car license. my reasoning being that you learnt more roadcraft in 6 months on a motorbike than you do in several years in a car. Unfortunately I see to many cars, vans and lorry on the roads, many of which are travelling to fast for road conditions today to repeat that nowadays. Maybe it's time for Speed Restricted license for the first 12 months after passing along a suitable marking plate on the vehicle - other country's do something like so can't be that difficult.

Last edited:
thats what we already have with the motorcycle licence.

Moped - limited to 30mph
A1 - 125 license
A2 - restricted bike 47bhp (noting that its no longer acceptable to restrict the power of a larger bike with more than 2x the power)
A - unrestricted.

The problem with power and speed restrictions is that the stats don't match. Some research suggest that "Sports bikes" are over represented in casualty stats, but then Sports bikes tend to be the most popular first bike for people doing accelerated access. Most accidents involve lower powered bikes (125cc and lower).

My own view is the tiering system encourage people to go bigger because they have passed the badge so to speak. In the old days you'd take your test on a 125 and then buy a 400-500cc bike, now there is an urge to buy a 120hp sports bike, because the license is "unlocked".

edit: anyway, I'm well off topic now :D

I always fancied installing double glazing myself, however although I plan to have a window and door replaced next year, on balance I'm going to leave it to the pros. They'll do in a day or less what would probably take me 2 days minimum, plus they'll take all the old stuff away. More hassle than it's worth!

I did my first lot of DIY, in the early DG days, it took me a week to do them all. When it came to them needing replacement, I priced up the cost of just supply of the windows, priced supply and fit - then thought about the effort and decided to get a local company in. Job was done is three days and no effort from me.

I have a 1960s downstairs loo that is cemented in to the waste pipe which is too far away from the wall. I'd like to replace it, but am worried that I will break the clay pipe.

If it's in the floor, this video shows how it's done. Not exactly HD, but drill a few holes in the cement first, then keep gently chipping away until you break the first small section out.

Last edited:
I used say that everyone should pass the Motorcycle test before getting a car license. my reasoning being that you learnt more spacecraft in 6 months on a motorbike than you do in several years in a car. Unfortunately I see to many cars, vans and lorry on the roads, many of which are travelling to fast for road conditions today to repeat that nowadays. Maybe it's time for Speed Restricted license for the first 12 months after passing along a suitable marking plate on the vehicle - other country's do something like so can't be that difficult.

I'm sure you meant Roadcraft there? I agree, nothing prepares you as a driver better, than the lessons you learn on two wheels, where any mistakes are much more serious. You get a much better perspective on vulnerability, when you are wrapped around the machine, than the machine wrapped around you.

I am not often driven, but when I am - I do feel much safer when driven by someone who has spent an apprenticeship on two wheels.

Not had a bike in years but do they now come with headlights permanently on ? . Basic safety feature and what we always used to do.
Too many bikers wearing dark colours doesnt help either .Bit like horse riders in the country wearing browns and greens and blending into the hedgerows

Yep they are hard wired on. Plus twin headlights were banned for a while as apparently it made them look like cars in the distance. The first thing I'd add to the custom list (apart from gel seat and heated grips) was to get the relay changed so that both headlights would work.

Downside of hardwired headlights is it can look like you are flashing someone to pull out if you go over a speed bump. better imo to have some sort of proper DRL LED strip, like cars have.

I'm also out of touch now on bikes.

I used say that everyone should pass the Motorcycle test before getting a car license. my reasoning being that you learnt more spacecraft in 6 months on a motorbike than you do in several years in a car. Unfortunately I see to many cars, vans and lorry on the roads, many of which are travelling to fast for road conditions today to repeat that nowadays. Maybe it's time for Speed Restricted license for the first 12 months after passing along a suitable marking plate on the vehicle - other country's do something like so can't be that difficult.
The way that folk dart around the town driving too fast and too close to other vehicles is scary. I've said before, dare to sit on (or even just near) the speed limit and it's not uncommon to have an idiot settle a few feet from your rear bumper.

Yeah I've always driven not assuming other road users will do the right thing. Btw not saying I'm perfect!

They say that the "safest" thing to do with automobiles is to strip out all the "safety" devices & fit a 6" spike on the steering wheel pointed straight at the drivers throat.
By any chance were you listening to that controversial Clarkson chappie? I'm sure he said thst or something very similar.

Sponsored Links
Back