How many women tackle DIY?

being an asian, I met an asian woman doing diy but unfortunately she didnt want to date. I was quite mesmerised because you dont see asian women diy'ing !

Sponsored Links
I have to hide my tool box or the wife will have a go at those oft nagged about jobs.she is quite good at plastering bricklaying putting conduit in but most of all DEMOLITION.

Well I am a woman and I do all my jobs myself from plumbing to electrics, carpentry and all my car repairs. I am also a Technician in paint shop doing everything from prep work to a full respray for very a large body shop. I am the only woman there doing that job and the bosses like me to be seen when they bring major customers around to show women can do that job just as good as the men. It can be tough work but very rewarding when you rebuild a smashed up car! :D

I do a fair bit of diy from replacing a sink, changing light fittings, putting up shelves, painting, laying down floors, fixing the washing machine (have Haines manual) and glazing. My Collins Complete DIY is a constant source of information. Big step up from the rickety dens and wobbly furniture I made as a child.

When flat pack furniture recommends two people I find a step ladder and a few paperbacks much better at taking commands. ;)

Sponsored Links
I definitely like to take the reins and decorate around the house, not just designing but practical bits as well. If I leave my boyfriend to do anything, like fix our bedframe he'd cracked when he tripped over it, we'd end up sleeping on cheap mattresses on the floor. AGAIN. There's no difference between a guy and a girl doing handywork, except maybe us girls are a little bit more patient about it :)

I definitely like to take the reins and decorate around the house, not just designing but practical bits as well. If I leave my boyfriend to do anything, like fix our bedframe he'd cracked when he tripped over it, we'd end up sleeping on cheap mattresses on the floor. AGAIN. There's no difference between a guy and a girl doing handywork, except maybe us girls are a little bit more patient about it :)
Exactly.

Ive posted before in the thread, but its coming back to surface is timely as only last week I was on the phone to my girlfreind who is on a 'work away' exchange in Finland. She has been there a while and last week was making some more bunkbeds for the accomdation they live in and was just about to cut up some wood on the miter saw when one of new works ran over and stopped her, questioning her actions.

Turns out he was genuinely shocked that a girl knew how the saw worked and was able to use it. The mind boggles

Would pretty much have a go at most stuff - not electrics or anything involving gas. And usually limited by weight I could carry or lift.

I am a woman and do loads of DIY, just fitted an oak engineered floor this weekend which I am really happy with. I did a quiz on the BBC website once and it said I had a more "male" brain, which I guess would explain why I did all the boy subject when I was at school, woodwork, metalwork and technical drawing.

I'm a DIYer of the female variety too. Papering, painting, tiling, replacing sockets, switches, lights, washing machines, dishwashers, flat packs etc. In the years I've been doing it, it has got easier with better tools and materials. Things that defeat me - I'm pretty strong but sometimes not enough, sometimes a second pair of hands would be so useful but like a previous poster I use judiciously placed stepladders and other objects! If I'm doing something new I work on a similar principle to measure twice, cut once. I think about it, do a search on the internet, think a bit more, measure, think a bit more........ so I can be pretty slow at some things but I'd rather take my time to plan than rush in and botch it up. And I'm pretty fussy about finish! I like using my hands to make stuff - I knit and sew - do all the soft furnishings. Avid fruit and veg gardener and enjoy doing stuff with the produce - jamming/pickling/preserving/baking/cooking etc.

i think its great that women are doing this - its becasue we have to - not becasue we really want to - two divorces and small kids and when things go i have to do them myslef - ive assembled furniture, dismantled, wardrobes, painted and decorated, mended electric stuff and self taught myslef , ive unblocked drains, toilets and the like and ive moved house on my own and im a self-employed property developer , pianted , decorated , plastered- ive walked around looking like a dead dog - the only thing i wont attempt is gas/boilers and really heavy stuff that needs more than one

i think its great that women are doing this - its becasue we have to - not becasue we really want to

I strongly disagree :) I personally like doing it, except plastering, which is boring imho. Oh, and have never done any gas installation because of the regulations.

As for physical strength and lifting heavy things - there is always a way. We hired a roadbreaker to dig a concrete patio and find the service cables. Of course I had to have a go! :D The breaking part was a pleasure, the chisel just goes into the concrete as a knife into butter, but then it has to be moved several inches aside to break the next piece. While my man could just lift and move the very heavy breaker, I had to do it with a graceful hip movement :LOL: We laughed a lot that day :LOL: But the point is, if he was not around, I would do it somehow on my own.

yes and we just love doing it - in fact i worked this out -

its cheaper to go on a plumbing course than to actually get a plumber down

painting and decorating is much easier that i ever imagined

Also men often help their dads with DIY as kids, whereas women tend not to.

Don't tell my daughter that, I'm doing a total rip out and refurb at the moment. She's only three but already she's helped pull a couple of cables under the floor, and was made up when I got out my 4" trowel for her to have a go at abit of skimming, shame she's too little to do more with her than a couple of mins here and there, she's keen. A few more years and I might even give her a job :LOL:

You are right though, generally it's the lads that get stuck in with dad.

Quite a lot of surprising insight on this thread, lol. I also prefer to do things myself and my husband just lets me. The secret to succeeding in DIY is knowing where your limits are, and have the humility to ask for help when necessary (like lifting heavy stuff).

Sponsored Links
Back