How much £ to service my much loved old boiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said your wifes good looking, but your profile says your location is Lincolnshire? The words "Good looking woman" and "Lincolnshire" never appear in the same sentence.

Sponsored Links
I was self employed for quite some time. In fairness to the engineers, you don't magic yourself to the property. As stated, it's not just the time on site.
There's the time to get there, along with the fuel costs etc - neither are free.
Do some guy's take the pee and rip you off? - absolutely yes! - but not all. You can't tar everyone with the same brush and just assume you may be / are being ripped.
It's also very conveniently forgotten, that tax and NI comes out of whatever you're being charged as well.

You said your wifes good looking, but your profile says your location is Lincolnshire? The words "Good looking woman" and "Lincolnshire" never appear in the same sentence.

Stalker alert.. Can confirm she is an absolute stunner, brah..

i have to say, that saying "alls he did was just stick the hoover in" gets on my ****ing tits. guess they miss checking burner door seal cleaning the heat ex fins with brushes, checking and setting the burner pressure and gas rate, taking the fan out if need be. a good experienced engineer will know what to touch, and what not to touch on a service. somethings are best left alone otherwise a service can lead to a night withou heating or hot water. its the knowledge your paying for as well...but hey, its ok now though, stick an analyser in that looks good, clean a trap and fook off. or you can do a proper job and strip down with new seals. that cost. give me a happy bermuda that i can hoover anyday and im happy they just carry on regardless.

Sponsored Links

Stalker? its written next to every post you write, it really didnt need my full skills at being a detective.

I do appreciate one has to travel to said job etc etc but in the case I mentioned above my neighbour confirmed to me this morning he was in and out in 15 mins flat. Therefore charging her £40 for lets say for argument sake, 30 mins work inc traveling was/is a little excessive IMO

The fact they were there for 15 minutes is irrelevant. Any kind of job will have a minimum price, which would still apply even if it took 2 minutes.

Unlikely it was 30 minutes work, since this assumes the person has come straight from a previous job and has another to go to immediately. In reality, this rarely happens with small jobs, a primary reason why plenty will not do such things, or will charge a very large price.

Only takes 4 minutes to cook a steak the way I like it. Should I get charged less than my old man who likes his burnt to a crisp.

Short jobs are disproportionately more expensive for a business to provide than larger jobs when you break them down to their cost per hour.

but in the case I mentioned above my neighbour confirmed to me this morning he was in and out in 15 mins flat. Therefore charging her £40 for lets say for argument sake, 30 mins work inc traveling was/is a little excessive IMO as I'm sure you would hopefully agree?..

I certainly wouldn't agree! I have a minimum charge. You forget that before we start a job, there is invariably time taken on the phone discussing and providing estimates. Most of us lose time doing free quotes. This time is not magically free. It is OUR time, and, essentially, our rates have to reflect this time, as well as time training, meeting accountants bla bla bla. If YOUR work van, conveyor belt or trolley breaks down you keep getting paid. We stop getting paid AND we pay for the repair.
It is warriors like you that make people like me consider going on the books.

As a matter of interest, what do YOU think would have been a fair charge?

Why some on here feel so gifted and self important and consider themselves entitled to charge people exorbitant amounts of money is beyond me and I expect most other reasonable people too. Maybe that is why some people are reluctant to employ an GHE and feel pressured to carry out their own repairs because they simply haven't the money. Which I fully acknowledge is mostly illegal, can be dangerous and even have catastrophic consequences.

Perhaps you are lucky enough never to need to employ a dentist, solicitor or accountant.

But if you did you would find that dentists charge about £200 ph in their workshop which you have to get to.

Solicitors start at about £150 ph and most I come across charge between £300-£400 or more! Again that's in their office which you have to travel to if you want to speak to them face to face.

Accountants appear a little more reasonable! most charge from £80 ph to £160 ph. But what is hidden is that, just like solicitors, most of the work they do for you is done by junior employees on quite normal salaries.

But all of these people are doing the work at THEIR premises.

Travelling to customers is usually a significant proportion of the working day and so has to be covered from the chargeable parts of the work.

Tony

Stalker? its written next to every post you write, it really didnt need my full skills at being a detective.
Just so you know and for any future reference she's not actually from Lincolnshire, and is therefore exempt from your otherwise harsh but fair observation. She's from your area funnily enough..

Only takes 4 minutes to cook a steak the way I like it. Should I get charged less than my old man who likes his burnt to a crisp.

Short jobs are disproportionately more expensive for a business to provide than larger jobs when you break them down to their cost per hour.

4 minutes eh? I'd have had you down for at least a 5 minute man Dan. :D

but in the case I mentioned above my neighbour confirmed to me this morning he was in and out in 15 mins flat. Therefore charging her £40 for lets say for argument sake, 30 mins work inc traveling was/is a little excessive IMO as I'm sure you would hopefully agree?..

I certainly wouldn't agree! I have a minimum charge. You forget that before we start a job, there is invariably time taken on the phone discussing and providing estimates. Most of us lose time doing free quotes. This time is not magically free. It is OUR time, and, essentially, our rates have to reflect this time, as well as time training, meeting accountants bla bla bla. If YOUR work van, conveyor belt or trolley breaks down you keep getting paid. We stop getting paid AND we pay for the repair.
It is warriors like you that make people like me consider going on the books.

As a matter of interest, what do YOU think would have been a fair charge?

As he most likely carried the part anyway as most pro's carry some spares that are commonly used. And bearing in mind the 'old dear' is likely to living off a pretty threadbare state pension and not living in some swanky abode. I would say £30 - £35 tops IMO. On a side issue, his van is often seen outside the bookies sadly but that's his affair I suppose. He's clearly not rushed off his feet, don't think many tradesmen are around here (the sticks) by the looks of things..

Why does a person's situation dictate a business operating cost?

Does my mortgage company vary my payments based on the demographic of my client's that month?

No

Do the proclivities of a single engineer dictate the industry costs?

No.

Does the fact that a van is parked outside a bookies mean hte engineer is in the bookies?

No.

Do I have a cooker hose on my van?

No.

Are you saying £35 to supply AND fit a cooker hose?

Do you know the ancillary tests that go with a cooker installation?

No.

The fact you think the way you do demonstrates you are a fool.

Why does a person's situation dictate a business operating cost?

Does my mortgage company vary my payments based on the demographic of my client's that month?

I'll try to answer this one for you tonight and consider the rest another time when I have more time and the inclination,

No but surely you agree buying a house, it's price is somewhat subject and generally governed by it's demographic location. I suspect it's generally cheaper to hire a GHE in my area rather than say a firm in a more affluent area like London.

As I say he was actually there 15 minutes, so I'm told. For £50 I hope he did carry out the other checks you mentioned but sadly it looks like he didn't which is shameful in all honesty..

more affluent area like London

Not all of London is affluent.

so I'm told.

Hardly a reliable grounding for any opinion.

it's price is somewhat subject and generally governed by it's demographic location

So what? My firm covers 33000 square miles. That encompasses pretty much every economic demographic there is. the ability of a person to pay a bill should not dictate what that bill is. Does Tesco change what we are charged for an item of food because my customers that week are less or more affluent than the previous week?

As I asked before, does the fact that it takes less time for a restaurant to cook my steak mean I should be charged less for its cooking than my father who likes it much more well done?

No.

Can't wait to reply to this properly! Just got to take the van in for an MOT (which has to be paid for) hopefully someone else doesn't be me to the inevitable comments!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back