how much adhesive, how much money?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got 22sqm of travertine to lay.

how many 20kg bags of flexible adhesive do I need (and grout)

how much should I expect to pay - I've never know whether I get a good deal on tiles only to be marked up on adhesive.

Sponsored Links
The amount of adhesive will depend on what size notch trowel you use, the notch size will be determined by the tile size and how even the floor is.

Type of adhesive will also depend on what you are fixing to together with any strengthening of the subfloor.

Likewise the grout will be determined by tile size and joint width

Don't forget to seal the stone before grouting

Would need more details before advising what and how much will be needed.

Jason

tiles are 600X400, trowel, hmmm, an average floor tile trowel!? The floor is pretty even.

the adhesive has to be flexible, it'll go down on a ply sub-floor

You should be using a thick bed solid bed trowel, this is the type with half round notches, if the stone is well calibrated that should be OK if not you will need to go upto a large format trowel same design bigger cutouts.

Assuming 20kg bags expect about 3 sq mts coverage with the thick bed solid bed trowel and 2 sq mts with the large format and don't forget to use white adhesive as the grey may soak into the tile and show through!!

10 kg bag of widejoint superflex grout should do all the floor

Jason

Sponsored Links
thanks

and do you know what people use on light travertine? I think white would look cleaner, although ivory or natural would match the tile.

personal preference, or is there a rule of thumb?

and...

it's only about half the tiles being used for the floor, the rest is for the wall, would it be better to get normal, non flexible adhesive and grout for this (cheaper?)

thanks in advance.

An off white usually looks best, I sometimes mix white and Ivory as the Ivory on its own can be too yellow.

Jason

Stick with the same grout for colour match and one 10kg bag will cost less than 3 or 4 3.5kg bags.

What thickness is the stone, you should be using 12mm for the floor and 10 or less for the walls as the weight may be too much. A skimmed wall will only hold 20kg/m2 tile and adhesive, 32kg for bare plasterboard and 50kg for aquapanel.

Jason

hmmm, 12mm I think. I was thinking of using both for floor and walls.

the walls are plasterboard, which have been previously tiled or skimmed.

I will ask if they do any thinner for the walls, but I suspect they only sell one thickness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back