How much do you pay for energy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm seeing the news about the energy prices going up and see mentions of on average rises of £700pa. I have combined gas and electric with scottish power and paying £140pm for 4 bed det house, 2 adults, 2 kids, gas heating (which isn't on all day). I'm fixed til sept but thought id check how much to switch. Scottish power are quoting £540pm!! Looked at uswitch and coming out around £350pm!! How is mine going up £210pm!!!!! a lot different to £700pa.

Sponsored Links
I took a "fix" a couple of months ago. Not far off £4k pa., which was up near 40% at the time. Subsequent quotes are way higher.
1kWH electric is 30p during the day, less at night.

1 min = 1p to boil the kettle so I'm sticking to beer.

All the quotes on telly of how much more you'll pay are useless if your house is different.(n)

Semi detached, 5 bedroom and 2 people. CH on from 7am to 10pm set at 21 degrees. Was paying £119 but raised to £130 voluntary a week ago. Fixed to December.

Semi detached, 5 bedroom and 2 people. CH on from 7am to 10pm set at 21 degrees. Was paying £119 but raised to £130 voluntary a week ago. Fixed to December.

How can mine be going up so much? 100% rise would be £280pm and its showing £350 now and that without the further rises in oct.

Sponsored Links
How can mine be going up so much? 100% rise would be £280pm and its showing £350 now and that without the further rises in oct.
because you were already on a lower fixed tariff from the price it was on yesterday

the £ number at the bottom does not tell us how much your costs have gone up by. You have to look at the pence per kWh to see the price; and the meter readings to see the usage.

your monthly payment will also be affected by past under- or over-payments, and the supplier's estimates, which may change at whim, and may be inaccurate.

How much do you pay for energy?

I currently pay

for Electricity
Unit rate 17.13p per kWh
Standing charge 26.99p a day

For Gas
Unit rate 3.06p per kWh
Standing charge 25.50p a day

And what are your prices?

By sheer chance, I took out a 2-year fixed price contract in July.

We have just had an unusually mild winter, so even my current usage is quite low.

Lucky me.

I think I must have struck lucky too. 3 bed semi. Just the two of us here, Gas heating on from 6.00 - 10.30. Gas hot water, gas hob. I renewed our two year fixed deal with OVO in October '21 just before the proverbial hit the fan. Using around 4,000kw of electricity and 13,500kw of gas per year. Was paying £100 per month. Now paying £127 until October 2023. It was more than double last time I checked.

9FBD55FA-47FE-41A4-A568-FC2FA8351156.png

We will be paying dual fuel at 360 from early this month they wanted us to pay quite a bit more than that but as we expect to cut back eg turn some tv's off ad got new led bulbs and recently an new washing machine and a drier, we expect energy usage to be low, I hope.
I's not worth fixing atm

Renewed with Eon last year on 2 year fixed rate until August 2023.
Paying £127 for electric only as we use oil for heating, (no gas supply in the countryside).
Also have a contract with oil supplier to pay what we are quoted on price request as a loyal customer. If price goes up before delivery we will pay lower price, if it goes down we will pay lowest price again.

From today I am paying 27.22p a day standing charge and 7.31p per kwh for gas and 41.66p SC and 29.5p per kwh for electric. How much I spend in total is a mystery, but it will be about 55kwh a day gas on average, not got a clue about electricity.

TBH, prices around the suppliers are not significantly different

However, there is a predicted further rise in October and this comment really alarms me

"We are going to see an extra £500 or £600 added to bills in October, and frankly the chancellor's going to have to fund that entirely for low-income households," he told the BBC.
source Warning of fresh energy bill shock in October as prices rise again - BBC News

I appreciate that there are the old and the genuinely ill and incapacitated that need state help, but why should certain other "able bodied" people get special treatment? There are going to be lots of working families who will feel the pressure, along with their other costs that wont be subsidised by the state. The self employed wont get the same help, neither will the genuine hard-working people just over the threshold for state help, but the costs will actually make them worse off than someone sat at home all day living off the handouts.

At the same time, there seems to be a lot of job vacancies but not a reduction in out-of-work claimants.

really simple people are going to have to learn to toughen up regards staying warm like people did in the past one room warm and extra blankets etc on the bed didnt do us any harm waking up with ice on the inside of windows .
Today people are on social media etc kicking up if the heating goes down for one day even in months like may , september . Man up ffs

...the old...

many older people have pensions and other wealth beyond the dreams of the poor.

....going to have to fund that entirely for low-income households,"

...why should certain other "able bodied" people get special treatment...

it doesn't say it should target the able-bodied

it says that people with little money will need extra help.

Help where it's needed

This is the opposite of giving handouts to billionaires, or free doughnuts to the obese.

I was paying £97 a month with Avro on a fixed contract which expired just as they went bust. Transferred to Octopus who raised my DD to £147. Fair enough I thought. Then as we approach the April increases they suggested a monthly £220 DD. Fortunately they allow customers to set their own DD so I thought bugger that and set it to £200/m as the warm weather is inbound. Will have to see how it pans out.

Sponsored Links
Back