Pushy / Dishonest Energy Salespeople

T

toasty

I'm guessing I shouldn't name and shame the supplier in question, so I won't.

This happened to me earlier tonight.

Door bell rings. (we ignore it as it's quite late, and we can see their face on the CCTV on our tv!)

Door bell rings again. (I'm eating my tea, so still don't answer)

Knock on the door. (Still ignoring them)

Louder knock on the door (I'm cross now)

I answer the door with a cross "Yes?"

Salesman: (with assistant) says, has anyone been around to collect your supply numbers?

Me: No, why?

Salesman: yours are out of date

Me: can't be, I'm still getting billed

Salesman: They are, and you are paying £200 too much, I need to see your bills (gas and electric)

Me: I don't have them

Salesman: what?

me: I do online billing, so don't have them (which is true, not that I would get them if I did have them)

salesman: we need to see them, there is a problem

me: I don't like the look of this, this is decidedly dodgy, please go away, and don't come back

salesman: (disgruntled) Uh, have a nice day.

I didn't like the look of that at all, not sure if it was a scam , i.e once they had my supply numbers I would have (maybe?) got a load of paperwork saying I'd agreed to switch (I don't get my energy from this supplier)
I don't particularly like door to door salesmen, we've all got to earn a living and all that, but never once did he explain what he was doing. It's all very dodgy if you ask me, they had badges and the like, so I believe they were from the supplier question, but I just don't agreed with their methods and so didn't feel en-powered to give my details over :LOL:

What does everyone else think? They should clearly state that they are selling energy, and that they are trying to get you to swap suppliers surely?

Cheers
-Dan

Sponsored Links
UPDATE, I was so cross about this, I've just complained to the energy ombudsman and will continue to complain to anyone who will listen tomorrow..

I've just witnessed them going opposite to another house and had the old lady living there on the doorstep for 10-15mins - wish I'd gone over now.

I'm really quite cross! :evil:

I had a dodgey energy salesman come round once, he told me he'd been supplying one of my neighbours and had some energy left over and did I want it at a cut down rate? Needless to say I sent him packing! ;)

Seriously, it's worrying that people can still get away with this hardsell door step stuff, I hope they investigate your complaint throughly.

weve had them before. they say that they need to check who your being supplied with as your overpaying and they can do better. I asked them how they know if they we are overpaying if they dont know who we are with. ended up with me frogmarching him down the drive as got more and more leary. tossers, especially as we have quite a few old people around in our street

Sponsored Links
Well if one of them is stupid enough not to be able to read the 'no cold callers' on our door, then I suppose 'f*ck off' doesn't offend them either.... ;)

Definitely shady, I think you're right to complain (is it OFGEN?)

I had doorknockers from my regional incumbent supplier come round asking who I bought my gas and elect from (none of their business) and asking what rate I paid/had I had a price cut recently.

Doubtless trying to get info from me so they can try to persuade me to buy from them.

They certainly have no right to ask to see your bills or know your account no's. this is information that might ne used to initiate a supplier change.

they still wavw an officila looking id under your nose though, so i can see how old people could be taken in....bastards

I always shout to my wife ... "Sweetheart, can you bring my gun down please"

They don't seem to hang around long :LOL:

We had somebody come round when I lived in my flat. They had a little chat and I told them where to go. They asked me to sign their form just to say that they'd been there but I wasn't interested. I always read everything before I sign it and it's a good job because it was a change of supplier agreement. Cheeky barstewards. :evil:

Thanks everyone.

I've complained to the company in question, and also complained to watchdog :LOL:

I've decided I'm going to have a sign printed saying "No Salespeople" and they put it above the doorbell, that way next time this happens I can shout and/or swear at them with a clear concience! :evil: :evil: :evil:

I'll let you know if I hear anything

Sponsored Links
Back