Energy Saving Bulbs

About 2 hours ago, this guy came to the door and asked if he could ask me the wattage of the bulb in our table lamp. I replied that it was a 100w and he then told me that if I used the bulb he had in his hand, then I would save 85% of the energy I used to light the living room. I took the bulb, said thank you and closed the door thinking that he would ring the bell and ask for his bulb back. He stood for a few seconds shaking his head and then walk off to his car, got another bulb and called at my next door neighbour.

The neighbour has just called in to say that nobody had kept the bulb before and it wasn't worth kicking up a fuss about.

Will I really save 85%?

So you stole the bulb from him.
Theif !.

Sponsored Links
Electrical wholesalers are obliged to take your old lamp for recycling when you buy a new one.

And they'll charge you for it as well, anything between 5 and 15 pence per lamp....a wee charge.

I remember relamping when I was an apprentice we had a skip dedicated for lamps, we loved it as all we did was throw them in as hard as we could to smash em, the old mbfu's went with a pop !

Electrical wholesalers are obliged to take your old lamp for recycling when you buy a new one.

And they'll charge you for it as well, anything between 5 and 15 pence per lamp....a wee charge.

The WEEE charge is applied to the new lamp regardless of wether you take an old lamp for recycling or not, so you might as well take advantage, and get rid of your lamps in a humane way. It doesn't cost any extra. :)

All I can say is that I buy Osram CFL's from WF and I have one in the hall that has almost been on 24/7. I had it in the last house and moved here in June 1999.

Can't argue with that.

Now I know you're all going to say what's the point of buying an energy saving lamp then leaving it on 27/7?

Well, I think of it as a security measure. If you leave a light on in your property 24/7 regardless of whether you are home or not, regular watchers of your house do not know whether you are in or out.

Crafty, eh?

Sponsored Links
I'm still somewhat miffed to be charged this by online retailers that you have no prospect of returning the bulbs to...

When I installed the GU10 CFL and LED spots in the kitchen the difference in colour and startup was noticeable, but you just get used to them.

Most of the energy saving bulbs are for backwards compatability for existing light fittings.
I'd be interested to know what people would install as the ideal low energy lighting in their home if they were starting from scratch.

I'm still somewhat miffed to be charged this by online retailers that you have no prospect of returning the bulbs to.
Well then, support your local suppliers, and don't buy from online retailers. :idea:

Sponsored Links
Back