Energy Saving Bulbs

the saving are if you carry on with the same "life style"!!
in general because they are so much cheaper to run you can relax and not follow the kids round turning unnesesery bulbs off so often so less friction and arguments :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

even if you leave the bulbs on for 50% longer than before you are still saving 60p in every pound

as an aside i use an average off 12/13 units off electric every day off the year no matter if its summer or winter the consumption is the same

my son has a 38 inch flat screen and a playstation 3 and when he went away for 3 weeks in july the consumprion averaged 9 units a day i am assuming if he mannaged the fourth week in the month it would be 8 units a day

now assuming we attribute 4 units a day to him and possibly atribute 1 unit to his other consuption like extra lights cooking time on the computer ect that still leaves 3 units a day for his ps3 and tv

so theres another area for saving ;)

and final point i measured all the consumption figures for all the tv's vidioes when in use and on standby and out off around 12 units the average consumption on standby was around 18% ranging from 0 to 38%

now 18% doesnt sound a lot but when the total combined consumption is near 1kw an hour so every 6hrs on standby thats 1unit

Sponsored Links
Sorry if I sound frivolous but the low energy lamps are so darned ugly !

I have a number of jolly expensive light fittings and I dread the day when I can no longer get clear filament lamps. There is no doubt that the light output from the low energy lamps is inferior so to have the house properly lit it would be necessary to have additional lights. Something to consider when assessing the savings ? I feel depressed enough in poor lighting so I feel sorry for the people who have SAD. :(

There is no doubt that the light output from the low energy lamps is inferior so to have the house properly lit it would be necessary to have additional lights. Something to consider when assessing the savings ? I feel depressed enough in poor lighting so I feel sorry for the people who have SAD. :(

There speaks the voice of a person who has never used Low energy lamps.

OK, so an 11 watt CFL has inferior output to a 60w filament. However, a 13 watt CFL doesn't ;) Therefore you wont need additional lights.

And SAD lights use LOW ENERGY LAMPS! Because low energy lamps can be made closer to natural daylight!! :rolleyes:

All commercial premises in the land use low energy lamps. Most hotels use CFLs.

CFLs and fluorescent tubes are available in many different colours, from warm white (3000k), to ultra daylight (blue end of the spectrum of white), 6400k+ - this is why they are so versatile.

CFLs are also available in many guises, including GU10s, and those in a glass sheild that makes it look "normal".

Do your research before you slag off good technology.

Goodness, what a broadside ! :eek:

So can you tell me Steve where I can get 13w CLEAR low energy screw in candlebulbs ? In the Co-op ?? I live in a house, not a public building......

Have you got shares in them, BTW ? ;)[/i][/b]

Sponsored Links
1- Most newer types of light bulbs have mercury and when they break they are considered hazardous materials and a toxic clean up is required

2- These bulbs cannot be thrown in a regular garbage

Amazing how no one bothers to see the ramifications when they try to dictate "green " buildings as these low lives still have not addressed how to dispose of toxic PVC

You cannot get clear CFLs, simply because the coating on the tube gives them the light emitting qualities. A clear fluoescent tube emits only UV light. The coating on the tube converts it to white light. There is no filament.

click the images for an online retailer.

1- Most newer types of light bulbs have mercury and when they break they are considered hazardous materials and a toxic clean up is required
Do you have any evidence of this? I thought newer lamps had no mercury. I've seen a couple of relampers smash tubes and a dustpan and brush is all they use ;)

I don't like LE lamps, and will not fit them in my own home.

Oh, and yes all fluorescent lamps, (or low pressure mercury vapour lamps as they really are) do contain mercury.

You should not smash them. The vapours are poisonous.

I'm going to go back to open flame torches around the walls, gives more atmosphere.

I took the bulb, said thank you and closed the door thinking that he would ring the bell and ask for his bulb back.
In that case either you're lying or you're a miserable, thieving, anti-social git.

He stood for a few seconds shaking his head and then walk off to his car, got another bulb and called at my next door neighbour.
It's no surprise that he would want to avoid sullying his life with one further instant of being in your company.

The neighbour has just called in to say that nobody had kept the bulb before and it wasn't worth kicking up a fuss about.
You'd do well to follow his example.

Will I really save 85%?
You've got a free bulb, so who TF cares. :rolleyes:

Thank you, thank you RF !

AFAIK you are supposed to exit a room and keep the door closed for fifteen minutes if you break one of those hideous bulbs. And just where will 'dead' bulbs go - they allegedly last a long time but plainly not forever (if only because of the built-in obsolescence to keep the industry going) so after X years thousands of them will need disposal. What arrangements have been made for that scenario ?

Anyway I am going to avoid them as long as possible and intend to stockpile as many clear filament bulbs as I can before they disappear ! :evil: :evil: :evil:

(Yah boo, Steve !)

AFAIK you are supposed to exit a room and keep the door closed for fifteen minutes if you break one of those hideous bulbs.)
I'd give it 20 minutes Francine just to be on the safe side ;)

And just where will 'dead' bulbs go - they allegedly last a long time but plainly not forever (if only because of the built-in obsolescence to keep the industry going)
LED lamps last practically forever. several hundreds of thousands of hours anyway, longer than most people own a light fitting. ;)

And best leave it a couple of hours with the mercury thing eh. ;)

There is a warning on CFLs that they should not be disposed of in the bin, but there are recycling schemes. I do know that Ikea take old CFLs for recycling.

Mercury is a real threat, so it's good to raise public awareness but keep it in perspective. Conventional flourescent tubes have been around since most of us were born. People just need to be made aware of the hazards of breakage and encouraged to treat disposal of used CFLs responsibly. I shall certainly take more care in future.

Lots of CFL info and links -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

Electrical wholesalers are obliged to take your old lamp for recycling when you buy a new one.

Sponsored Links
Back