How much electrical power does a gas boiler use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've fortunately avoided power cuts but nearby villages haven't due to Arwen, and with temperatures are set to fall below freezing I'm reminded how even our gas CH is reliant on mains electricity. Seems a bit crazy we have the gas but couldn't use it.

Other than a generator, are there feasible ways to run your boiler during an outage? Do modern boilers draw a lot of power... I imagine the majority of the inner workings are actually using lower voltage DC.

Is it possible to set a new/existing boiler up for independent electrical supply - is this something a heating engineer could do? Or is it simply not how they work?

Sponsored Links
If not a generator what independent power are you thinking of running the boiler with? Earthing can be problematic using a generator with flame rectification.

We've fortunately avoided power cuts but nearby villages haven't due to Arwen, and with temperatures are set to fall below freezing I'm reminded how even our gas CH is reliant on mains electricity. Seems a bit crazy we have the gas but couldn't use it.

Other than a generator, are there feasible ways to run your boiler during an outage? Do modern boilers draw a lot of power... I imagine the majority of the inner workings are actually using lower voltage DC.

Is it possible to set a new/existing boiler up for independent electrical supply - is this something a heating engineer could do? Or is it simply not how they work?
The pump is likely to use more power than the boiler. There was a thread on this earlier this week - link below.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/gas-boiler-electrical-consumption.581780/unread

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back