How much should I expect to pay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently bought a new place in Kent and the central heating pipes are visible, I would like these hidden, I guess most likely in the floorboards.

I've attached some photos of what needs to be done, any idea of what I should expect to pay for something like this and how long it will take?

Room 1

Room 2

Room 3
(Doesn't need to be done if two difficult and I will box up)

Sponsored Links
Why don't you pull up all the flooring ready for the plumber, but good luck with the chipboard.

Andy

Can`t be done - have a google for pendock ? profiles - kind of shaped wood covers for pipes - similar name ;)

Sponsored Links
In one picture I see a white pipe that looks like it will be a condense pipe and needs to have a fall on it so that probs can't be moved

You don't seem to say what your floor is.

Probably the pipes were surface mounted because the floor is concrete. That's massively expensive to put pipes in.

Just paint pipes the same colour as the walls and they will visually blend in!

Tony

It's a chipboard floor (pic 3 Room 1) which is tricky enough to take up and put back without damage. You also have a good amount of laminate flooring which seems to be fitted under the skirting, so will be equally difficult to lift without damage.

Take the advice above and box it in or just paint it unless you want to create a load of work.

Not too bothered about damaging the laminate or the skirts as they are both being replaced and will be removed anyway.

Is chipboard very hard to take up? I may give it a go this evening...

The chipboard will be tongue and groove, screwed down. Ideally you would run a circular saw, set to just less than the thickness of the board, along the joins of one board, unscrew it and work out from there, but ......

Problem - you don't know what services - gas pipes, electric cables, water pipes - might be run just below the boards, so the risk of other damage is far greater.

You don't seem to say what your floor is.

Probably the pipes were surface mounted because the floor is concrete. That's massively expensive to put pipes in.

Just paint pipes the same colour as the walls and they will visually blend in!

Tony

Tony, why don't you buy a new computer? The good one's receive photo's these days ;)

My guess is this used to be a rental property and therefore the people fitting this stuff didn't give a flying **** about appearance.

And I'm so glad you're taking that laminate up. Cheapest of the cheap and looks it.

Lifting chipboard is slightly time consuming as you have to nail punch all the nails which can cause artex /plaster in rooms below to come off at points .
Relaying it ,it will need screwed down to stop creaking etc
But its not the worst job in the world

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back