How much should it cost to have an asbestos flue removed?

Sponsored Links
Why particularly that one, is it the colour, shape, funny angle or just because its on its own ?

I had about the same and British Gas removed it as part of the boiler exchange, don't know what is in the chimney but chances are it is either a flexible steel flue liner (correct) or as in my case no liner at all (bodge) :rolleyes:

Having no flexible liner does NOT constitute a "Bodge" :eek:
over many years there have been many different methods for conventional flue systems, so the fact that your's didn't use a flexible liner doesn't mean it was badly installed as long as it complied with the regulations in force AT THE TIME OF INSTALLATION!! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Why particularly that one, is it the colour, shape, funny angle or just because its on its own ?

The building surveyor said its beyond its serviceable life, it connects what is currently a condemned boiler to a chimney flue, which I believe any new boiler would could not be legally connected to.

I had one person say to me that he would want the boiler 'isolated' and to see a certificate stating that it had been isolated, to prevent harmful gases entering the house when they remove the flue.

The boiler has already been condemned.

Is a condemned boiler automatically isolated?

If not, is 'isolating' a boiler, and issuing a certificate to evidence this, a standard procedure, that a heating engineer would undertake?

That's a bit ott

Why do you think its OTT?

I mean, on the face of it, what the guy said to me is reasonable, he wants to make sure its isolated so that he knows no harmful gases will be released into the house when he removes the flue.

I am speaking from a position of ignorance, so would be happy to be further enlightened.

I am sure you know the flue is now not applicable to any new boiler - you've had loads of installers out. Why you are taking a surveyors opinion over an installers is beyond me, surveyors actually know very little, IME.

Who is the "one person"?. Probably another surveyor.

OK, re-read post. The "one person" is presumably a contractor quoting to remove the bend? Is it actually asbestos.? Why is your boiler installer not removing it? (If he actually exists)

To remove that flue would cost nothing and is a simple job to any installer

It would be out in a few minutes and bagged up, no danger to anyone.
You can make it as complicated as you like beyond that.

I am sure you know the flue is now not applicable to any new boiler - you've had loads of installers out. Why you are taking a surveyors opinion over an installers is beyond me, surveyors actually know very little, IME.

OK, re-read post. The "one person" is presumably a contractor quoting to remove the bend? Is it actually asbestos.? Why is your boiler installer not removing it? (If he actually exists)

I haven't chosen an installer yet, but I rang one up, and he said he would need it removed before he started work on installing a new boiler. A second installer also said that.

Once I've asked an installer to do the job I can ask them, I just thought because its cement with asbestos that you'd have to get an accredited asbestos remover to do it, rather than your average heating engineer.

you can get bags from council, bag it up and they will take and dispose of, not sure who your talking to but they are jobsworths.

I haven't chosen an installer yet, but I rang one up, and he said he would need it removed before he started work on installing a new boiler. A second installer also said that.

3 different types of Asbestos, 2 of which are dangerous and that one isn't. Bagged up as others suggest, nae probs

Once I've asked an installer to do the job I can ask them, I just thought because its cement with asbestos that you'd have to get an accredited asbestos remover to do it, rather than your average heating engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back