How much time ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So Finally got my first work here...and it took 35 min to clean a room with the normal carpet sweeper..

What was the your time on your first job ? or usually how much does it take to clean a carpet..i know it depends on the tools you are using.

But just want to share some ideas..

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Up here that equates to about 400 Groats?

Used to love Half Crowns, you could at times go out for a night on two of them

My first job as I recall paid £3.17 and six pence a WEEK !.

Where is the "living wage" now?

Ken

Up here that equates to about 400 Groats?

To be precise, half-a-crown is equal to seven-and-a-half groats!

Of course, groats were a little before my time, but I do remember using ha'pennies and I have seen farthings (with a little wren on the back) although they weren't legal tender when ah wer a lad.

I do remember using ha'pennies and I have seen farthings .

Presumably, then, you remember threepenny bits, tanners, florins, ten-bob notes and of course pennies the size of saucers!

I saw a couple of farthings once. One was so far away I couldn't even make out what it was.

Groat or bottle tops to replace the £ ?
:eek:

Bottles could be returned for 1d in the late sixties/early 70s.

Ken, the living wage shows we earn fewer pints per hour now.

My first job as plasterers mate in London 1984, £30 a day, he was on £65. I paid 30% tax so took home a ton a week for five days.
. Pint of lager was £1 .

Today average pint lager is £3.20. Twenty pints a day would make plasterers mate on £64 a day after tax A plasterer would have 45.5 pints a day, 145.5 after tax. I found this surprising!

I do remember using ha'pennies and I have seen farthings .

Presumably, then, you remember threepenny bits, tanners, florins, ten-bob notes and of course pennies the size of saucers!

Of course. But you missed out bobs!

There were also pound notes and five pound notes, so I believe, but we were so poor I never saw any of those.

We lived in a cardboard box.

Sponsored Links
Back