How not to run your cables !!!!

This was for the wall lights in the dining room.

This guy was such a cowboy, its unbelievable. Thats why I always say. If your not going to do it properly, then don't bother.

Bazdaa

Sponsored Links
I don't see what that thread has to do with you writing "Part P alone will not allow you to sign of your own work."

It's nonsense - if you were installing windows, would you write "Part L alone will not allow you to sign of your own work."?

What did you mean by it, or rather what were you trying to say?

Sponsored Links
HHmmmm perhaps this will jog your memory, as I was under the impression that you had to be a member of one of the regulatory associations to be able to sign off your own work.

ban-all-sheds said:
Bazdaa said:
Is this not the whole truth then? Will I not be able to cert my own testings and installations?
If your £2K is going to be enough to pay for:

1) The necessary qualifications

2) The application costs to join a scheme

3) The necessary publications and test equipment

4) The necessary insurance

then yes.

If not, then no. It doesn't matter what qualifications you have, or how much experience you have, if you don't also join NAPIT/ECA/NICEIC/BSI/ELECSA then you will not be able to self-certify.

Bazdaa

Bazdaa said:
HHmmmm perhaps this will jog your memory, as I was under the impression that you had to be a member of one of the regulatory associations to be able to sign off your own work.
Yes, you do.

That still does not explain why you wrote, and what you meant by, "Part P alone will not allow you to sign off your own work."

ban-all-sheds said:
Bazdaa said:
Yes, you do.

That still does not explain why you wrote, and what you meant by, "Part P alone will not allow you to sign off your own work."

Because it wont, as I have just explained, as you also once advised me!

Bazdaa

No - what we advised you, quite clearly, is that "Part P" is the name of the new part of the Building Regulations.

It is not the name of a qualification.

Even taking all of the qualifications required by the self-certification scheme operators together, there is no such thing as being "Part P qualified".

Even if you are registered with one of the self-certification schemes, you are not "Part P qualified"

Part P is not the name of a qualification, or a status, it is a part of the Building Regulations.

So - assuming that when you ask a question you pay attention to the answers, why did you write, and what did you mean by, "Part P alone will not allow you to sign off your own work" ?

Shheeeesh and I thought you were one of the decent ones. Not sure if your looking to pick an argument or what. Anyway I will clarify or attempt to!

When I said that Part P would not stop or catch this. I meant that the Part P regulations would not have caught this shoddy piece of work. However that was before I heard about them wanting to see cable runs. Problem is, suppose this was the 3rd fix! I thought Part P has been created to get rid of dodgy workmanship (in a nutshell) amongst other things. But as I said, this could still got around the regs.

With regards to Part P not allowing you to sign off your own work. Well I think thats been answered already.

Looking over the thread again. Who said anything about being Part P qualified? Doing a Part P course, will simply make you a competent person according to the law!

Bazdaa

Bazdaa said:
When I said that Part P would not stop or catch this. I meant that the Part P regulations would not have caught this shoddy piece of work. However that was before I heard about them wanting to see cable runs. Problem is, suppose this was the 3rd fix!
If the Part P regulations were properly enforced by LABC then they would have caught this.

I thought Part P has been created to get rid of dodgy workmanship (in a nutshell) amongst other things.
That was the claim. In reality it was created to stop kitchen fitters and plumbers from doing electrical work, and to put small and OMB electricians out of business, thus giving control of the domestic installation market to the larger electrical contracting concerns.

But then NICEIC spotted how much money they (thought) they could make by registering all the kitchen fitters and plumbers as long as they did a 5-day course, and it all got messy. And of course all the genuinely qualified & experienced sparks who already resented being told they had to join an organisation in order to carry on working then saw that they would be classed as the same as the 5-day wonder kitchen fitter/plumber (or vice-versa), and this did not exactly make them fonder of the whole idea....

But as I said, this could still got around the regs.
No - shouldn't be possible, ignoring of course deliberate malfeasance by a registered person.

With regards to Part P not allowing you to sign off your own work. Well I think thats been answered already.
Yup - "Part P" is not a status, or thing, or qualification, or membership, or person, or regulatory body, and so it cannot allow or disallow anything.

Looking over the thread again. Who said anything about being Part P qualified?
I think you did. I think that what you were effectively saying was "Being Part P qualified alone will not allow you to sign off your own work" or "Having the Part P qualification alone will not allow you to sign off your own work" - no other interpretation of your actual words makes any sense.

Doing a Part P course, will simply make you a competent person according to the law!
How many times? There is no such thing as a "Part P course".

There are C&G qualifications.

There are NVQ qualifications.

There are EAL Domestic Installer Certificates.

There are all sorts of qualifications that the various self-certification bodies will accept in order that you may register with them. None of them are called "Part P".

And possession of any, or even all, of the qualifications will not, in itself, make you a competent person according to the law. The law does not have any definition of competence. Legally anyone can issue a BS 7671 Electrical Installation Certificate, or Minor Works Certificate, or a Periodic Inspection Report.

The only status the law recognises is the ability to self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations, and such status is acquired by joining one of the schemes.

Seems to me that your just confirming or repeating what I'm saying. Perhaps you just want to play with words, if so maybe you should go and watch Countdown. Not bad these days with old Des.

Before I leave, I just thought I'd show you this, as there is a Part P course http://www.buildertrainingcentre.co.uk/courses/part.htm
I now know what I know. But perhaps I was just the messenger, as someone pointed out on the other thread (Part P renewal).

I used to think you knew what you were talking about, now I'm not so sure.

Bazdaa

I think you will find BAN is right on this, doing this course alone does not give you a ticket to go and start self certifying compliance with the building regs (Part P). The website talks of a "Part P qualification" which appears to be their interpretation for "Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers". Having the "Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers" may help you to enrol with some of the competent person schemes which then allow you to self certify compliance with the building regs.

Bazdaa said:
I used to think you knew what you were talking about, now I'm not so sure.
Please enlighten us, us dim-witted electricians don't really know what we are talking about and await your expert verdict.
Bazdaa said:
FFS what is this!
Before you do the Part P course though, you may like to try one in web etiquette....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back