How often do officer recommendations change?

• Thread starter Deleted member 281264
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 281264

I've had a planning app I been waiting on for 12 weeks now it's just a standard domestic extension.

For the last couple of weeks it has been on Recommendation : Pass subject to conditions

I am worried that it will be shot down at the last minute

Sponsored Links
doh, put it in the wrong forum. could a mod move it?

It's always possible that whoever actually signs it off on it's approval date will override the officer recommendation but generally that doesn't happen especially if non controversial. Have you or the agent spoken with the officer up to now or has it just been left to trundle along? Why has it taken 12 weeks, it ought to be decided in 8 weeks.

Sometimes I've had a junior officer ask for amendments to make an application acceptable. Plans are duly amended, and when said officer takes it to their line manager, the line manager doesn't like it and asks for further amendments.
The whole planning system is a useless money-making scam. The world would be a better place if Planning departments were closed down and staff re-deployed doing something useful, such as filling potholes in the road.

Sponsored Links
There were no amendments asked for, I contacted the officer dealing with my app last week and he said he will chase it up in the weekly meeting

If it were to be refused after all this time I would be very annoyed. Could of almost put 2 applications in in this timeframe. The worst thing is that I have previously been granted permission for the side extension and the rear extension already, so the only change in the new application is the gable end and dormer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think planning officers everywhere are in a go-slow due to the CV. Many won't now come out to site to view prospective extensions, instead relying on pics sent by the applicant.
Where i am, most are only contactable by email, and don't usually respond. Clearly they're just sitting out in the garden, feet up and with a glass of something while watching Netflix.
And we are paying for all this.

I think planning officers everywhere are in a go-slow due to the CV. Many won't now come out to site to view prospective extensions, instead relying on pics sent by the applicant.
Where i am, most are only contactable by email, and don't usually respond. Clearly they're just sitting out in the garden, feet up and with a glass of something while watching Netflix.
And we are paying for all this.
When I dealt with planners, it amazed me how often they had annual leave, team briefings, sabbaticals, training days, group therapy, office pilates, meditation......

It was hard to find a time when they were actually working :ROFLMAO:

I've had a planning app I been waiting on for 12 weeks now it's just a standard domestic extension.

For the last couple of weeks it has been on Recommendation : Pass subject to conditions

I am worried that it will be shot down at the last minute
Officer recommendations will stand unless the app goes to committee, in which case they can decide on a whim and not accept the report or recommendations, or want changes.

Otherwise unless the planner makes a massive mistake in the decision process, which would be very unusual, the officer's recommendations are accepted - as amongst other things, it looks bad not to accept them. Planners do talk amongst themselves and their managers and don't just decide to recommend approval out of the blue.

12 weeks is a long time to wait. Is it going to committee or are there other issues holding it up? You need to find out

Officer recommendations will stand unless the app goes to committee, in which case they can decide on a whim and not accept the report or recommendations, or want changes.

Otherwise unless the planner makes a massive mistake in the decision process, which would be very unusual, the officer's recommendations are accepted - as amongst other things, it looks bad not to accept them. Planners do talk amongst themselves and their managers and don't just decide to recommend approval out of the blue.

12 weeks is a long time to wait. Is it going to committee or are there other issues holding it up? You need to find out

It says it is being dealt with by delegated powers so I doubt it will go to a committee, there may have been some last minute objections though.

The only controversial thing about the application is the fact the dormer goes over the side extension, I know this is unusual but I found 5 or 6 other examples within 1 mile radius so thought I'd take a punt and apply for it.

upload

I don't think there can be any neighbour objections to the loft though since no side facing windows and identical windows for 1st and 2nd floor and no overshadowing since it's stepped it at each flank and there is already a rubbish dormer up there now.

After 12 weeks you should know all/any the objections as the consolation period would have closed 9 weeks ago. The planner should have had an opinion in week five as to whether the proposal is acceptable or if changes required or refusal is minded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back