Building regs delayed.....advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had plans for a kitchen extension approved back in 2005 but have only recently got into a position to have the work carried out.

I put in for building regs last week and have received a response from my local council saying that the proposed work is in close proximity to a public sewer and a consultation has taken place with united utilities...we are advised not to commence work until Utd Util's comments have been received.

What I don't understand is if there is a public sewer within close proximity to the proposed extension should it not have been flagged when;

a, the plans were drawn up

b, when my local council were considering the application

I am really worried that the extension may now not go ahead, I feel that this should have been flagged up at an earlier stage.

Can anyone tell me where I stand?

Thanks
Vinny

Sponsored Links
By approval presumably you mean planning approval? Planning permission usually expires after 3 years!
The planners wouldn't normally look into whether the extension was adjacent to a sewer esp a kitchen extension. The designer would be unlikely to know either unless the extensions right next to a road maybe? Building regs have flagged it up because they may need some additional measures taken to ensure no damage to the sewer occurs if its even an issue. Try and talk to the surveyor dealing with the application and gauge their opinion. You need to work with Building Control not against them, be nice etc etc will get you a lot further than an aggressive approach. That'll probably be a whole lot more useful than venting on here.

cheers, will do, the whole situations just thrown me, spoke to building control who say we'll have to wait for Utd Util's comment....I'm really worried that the extension may not go ahead if UU aren't happy.

Are you aware of the depth of the sewer and the proximity to your proposed extension wall?

These two factors combined can make the job unfeasibly difficult or expensive.

Sponsored Links
I'm awaiting for a copy of the sewer plans from Utd Util's at the moment, looking at the inspection chamber in my neighbour's garden i'd say roughly 2.5m away from the proposed extension.......I know they're aren't keen on building within 3m of a public sewer.

Vinny

Just an update on this, I have rec'd a sewer plan from Utd Util's, it is actually a surface water drain pipe that runs down my drive and down the gable end of my house, the proposed extension wall looks to be very very close to the line of the pipework, the pipe runs through my garden and disperses into the field behind....I'm hoping as it's only rainwater we are allowed to bridge over it. Fingers crossed.

Vinny

I was allowed to bridge house hold water waste, they allowed my extension to be bigger.

You will be able to build. I used to work in Network Sewers dept for Anglian Water in a previous life. You MAY need to sign a building over agreement with UU, and they retain the theoretical right to access their asssets even if that means digging up your house. In practice this will never happen, as they are obliged to make good.

You will most likely get a visit from a UU rep whilst you dig you footings so they can make sure you don't damage their pipe, but it's just a formality.

Regards Planning - it is the planners that usually notify Stat's (Statutory undertakers - the jargon term for all utility companies) of any building work, so that they can check it does not impact their assets. I used to check people planning applications as part of my role there, and advise on drainage etc.

Hope this helps.

You will be able to build. I used to work in Network Sewers dept for Anglian Water in a previous life. You MAY need to sign a building over agreement with UU, and they retain the theoretical right to access their asssets even if that means digging up your house. In practice this will never happen, as they are obliged to make good.

You will most likely get a visit from a UU rep whilst you dig you footings so they can make sure you don't damage their pipe, but it's just a formality.

Regards Planning - it is the planners that usually notify Stat's (Statutory undertakers - the jargon term for all utility companies) of any building work, so that they can check it does not impact their assets. I used to check people planning applications as part of my role there, and advise on drainage etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Paul, it puts my mind at rest, a weeks gone by hopefully I'll hear something next week from UU and/or BCO.

Thanks
Vinny

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back