how old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
im just registering with british gas home care and one of the questions is how old your boiler is.As i have just bought the house i have no idea,cant find any info on baxi site.
The boiler is a baxi wm 381...if any one knows approx years they manufactured these i would be gratefull
lynn

Sponsored Links
It could be the same year the house was built if similar houses still have the same type of boiler.

I gather that BG are reluctant to cover boilers over 10 years old and would suspect yours may be rather older than that.

Tony

Not exactly much to go wrong in one of those! 20 yrs old?

thanks guys...thought it was old as instructions are written in latin......hot water not getting very hot.....been told its the diaphram
was going to get it serviced but prob look at new boiler
lynn

Sponsored Links
BG will take on any system/boiler as long as it works to a fashion......age is not important. there must be parts available or they wont cover it.

i think im right in saying at least one type of baxi wm is not fully covered now so its a case of getting them round and finding out.

"as long as there are parts availible" dont make me laugh

went out to an old old vaillant thermocompact the other day that was covered by BG who said that the parts are no longer availible for this boiler

it needed the flame supervision board so I got the part nu from vaillant went down the road to the smallest HRPC in my area, parted with me hard earned went back fitted it and it was running like a dream.

The client rang BG whilst I was fitting the part to ask why I could buy the obsolete part and fit it within one hour of initially attending site, and she was told the BG will not source the part anymore

Just a little different from telling the client that "its no longer available" is it

:)

saucy sods

I am sure that their are a few companies out there that just insist the boiler is serviced every year and they will cover the repair, no matter how old it is.

Don't bother with BG , they will soon want to sell you a 'new' improved boiler, which will go wrong after 3 years .
stick with the old technology. I got a thermocouple for my Ideal Standard made in 1977, so parts are around.

ian thermocouples are pretty much universal.

we will take on any boiler as long as its fitted safely. we will advise if parts are no longer available and if you want to pay for full parts and labour cover on an obsolete boiler, then thats your prob. stop knocking bg unles you've heard the full story :rolleyes:

Gav I have heard the full story

at present I have two ex apprentices climbing the slippery BG carrer pole and a fair few mates who are not as decrete as they should be specially after a pint.

BG refuse to cover perfectly servicing boilers by stating "parts no longer availible" they never say obsolete so they client cannae get them there, but they do not stress the fact that they (BG) decide as and when they stop buying parts.

So is not how it is gav???? if not you then at best you have some serioulsy misinformed engineers or at worst you have some seriously rogue engineers running round trying to sell boilers in my neck of the woods?

no... when i find parts are obsolete..i get someone to contact all parts suppliers to see what i can get... its what i did when i worked in the call centre 10 years ago and still goes on now. then we say if the customer can get the part that we cant... we'll fit it and pay for the part. vey interesting what the customers order. yes there are some knobs working for us but we arent all that bad.

you dont see me posting on here and stating that all private guys are cowboys, nevermind the fact that most new customers to me have had some pretty awfull experiences from 'private' individuals. £500 for a suprima board fitted and yes plenty of combis written off when all ive needed was the odd sensor or pcb to fit.

come on keyboard warriors. :rolleyes:

I am not having a go at the lads

but I am having a go at BG service ethic?

They do try to get out of repairing older boilers, they do have a commission sclae for the sale of new boilers.

If its the way you say that BG will send the lads to buy a part for a boiler they no longer support then why do I personally go to at least three or four ex BG jobs per week. I anm sure the customer would rather wait for one of the BG lads to do it gratis than pay me to do the same job.

as for us horrible rip off private companies charging £500 for a suprima board (never heard it being that much ever mind) and how can we justify it

how can BG jusitify being at least 1000 dearer (including the 600 discount) than the next nearest quote to supply and fit a boiler??

Just interested

Again I have little problem with the lads, but i do have a huge problem with the bean counting morons running the business

corgimam

gotta say yes there are some dodgy gits workiing for us yes.

commision = £10 for an appoinment.sale or no sale. thetime and hassle it would take to convince someone to get an uneccesary quote is outweighed by what i can make in overtime. ie not worth it. i get quotes done on dangerous or dead boilers. but ill always warn someone when times getting short and of course you need to let people know their efficiency information.

and as for our prices. your guess is as good as mine :LOL:
im pretty dissollusioned (sp.) with us right now but ive a cracker of a mortgage to pay and love the steady wage.
im also reckoning that the decent guys out there probly get theree work on recommendation but for the average person who doesnt want riski and hassle..theres us

email me

better money at my place and my guvner is looking for someone in your area

(bracknell etc)

:):)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back