how old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
iangh said:
Don't bother with BG , they will soon want to sell you a 'new' improved boiler, which will go wrong after 3 years .
stick with the old technology. I got a thermocouple for my Ideal Standard made in 1977, so parts are around.

all you have to do is say no while they are repairing your boiler.....not hard now is it??

corgiman....ive not heard of this "non availability" of available parts....certainly not something that happened in my area to my knowledge. there are a lot of parts on special order for more obscure or rare boilers....which are pain for the eng to order.

same as any company the arseholes will always get more press than the guys doing good work like me and gavinda.

BG dont need to justify any of their pricing....same as anything else you buy it if you like the price or you dont. they have to pay for a sales force and installation team....you dont. the BG quote will almost always include 3-5 years reduced cost servicing......yours doesnt.

your BG mates had better try a little harder i think

corgiman said:
how can BG jusitify being at least 1000 dearer (including the 600 discount) than the next nearest quote to supply and fit a boiler??

It's quite sweeping though isn't it cm?. I recently went to a ferroli optima a client had installed privately 7 years ago installed on an existing system for 7600 quid and a Worcester greenstar which replaced a leaking response the day after Bg discovered it for 1500 including a powerflush. Quotes are variable under Bg but certainly not as variable as privately.

I may be wrong but last I knew the advice that a boiler is on the reduced spares list is given to bg from the manufacturer, but the engineer is not allowed to say parts are obsolete as he has to get the parts desk to try to obtain it from local stockists first.

Sponsored Links
ollski said:
corgiman said:
how can BG jusitify being at least 1000 dearer (including the 600 discount) than the next nearest quote to supply and fit a boiler??

Quotes are variable under Bg but certainly not as variable as privately.

i disagree.....quotes can vary between salesmen....that was proven quite comprehensively on my old patch.

MOD 2

this has WHAT to do with the question :?:

edit: apologies i misread the previous post......twice in one day :cry:

Lynn, last Thursday I was called at 1730 by an American lady who asked if I could repair her Vaillant boiler. ( VC GB 282 system )

When I said yes, I expect so, she explained that she already had BG cover but they had sent two engineers three times and they could not fix it. She said their senior engineer could not come until next Monday ( thats tomorrow! ) and she did not want to be faced with three more days without heating.

I got it running in about 45 minutes and while paying me she said that last year BG had taken 18 days to fix it and she had to move into a hotel with hubby and the kids. She feared a repeat of that problem.

She also had a Vaillant unvented but did not know if they serviced that at the same time.

I hope the BG cover works well for you !

Tony

The proportion of "bad tales" about BG guys is too high. Maybe better info has to go back to the managers.
Favourite was from my ACS trainer. Ex BG, I think he's taught half of the SE at one time or another. He moved house and inherited a middle aged combi (Lynx? then) with 3* cover.
It packed up, and his wife called them round. Guy says obsolete part, new boiler...
Hubby steps out from behind door, and guy says "oh b hell it's you I'd better fix it then" and gets part from van.

That was a few years ago, but the tales seem to be much the same. Time they tightened up!

Most people seem to be pleased with them though, and a lot of complaints come from those who haven't read the contract. Eg sludge!

tony and chris.....both of the above stories are unacceptable. there is far too much variance from patch to patch on matters like that.

Agile said:
she said that last year BG had taken 18 days to fix it and she had to move into a hotel with hubby and the kids.

lol theres nothing like a yank for melodrama is there?, or are fan heaters frighteningly expensive in your neck of the woods Tony??

ELZ4742 said:
ironiclly most of the work done by BG are sub contractors.

not on most patches its not

MOD 2

any further attempted posts on this topic WILL be deleted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back