1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

How safe are bayonet (B22) to Edison (E27) adaptors?

Discussion in 'Electrics Outside of the UK' started by noobiediyer, 23 Jan 2021.

1. noobiediyer

noobiediyer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have some smart bulbs have a bayonet B22 connection. However, a lot of newer light fittings have the Edison E27 connectors. I'm not keen on replacing my bulbs so I thought using these adaptors might be a good solution.

My question is, how safe are these adaptors? Are there any particular brands that I could buy which would be more safe than cheap ones from ebay/amazon?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Diyisfun

Diyisfun

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have used a few different adaptors, I just buy on ebay, no issues yet & they are years old.

4. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Dubious at best, as depending on how they are inserted, the outer thread of the lamp may be live which is likely to be a shock risk unless the adaptor has a very deep shroud (most do not).

5. Astra99

Astra99

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you are converting E27 (screw) to B22 (plug and twist) then there *should* be no problem. It is going from B22 to E27 (or E14) which could potentially make the screw part live.

6. noobiediyer

noobiediyer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That could be interpreted in both ways depending on whether you're talking about holder to bulb or bulb to holder. Just to be clear, the holder is E27 and the bulb is B22. The adaptor I need will allow me to fit my B22 bulb into an E27 light fitting.

7. johnny2007

johnny2007

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The adaptors I use are all covered in plastic, no way anything metal could be touched when changing bulbs.

8. Astra99

Astra99

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    To clarify my previous post. If you have B22 lamps (bulbs) you want to fit into an E27 holder, then you are converting E27 to B22, which should pose no problem. However, installing an E27 lamp (bulb) into a B22 holder means that potentially the screw of the adapter/holder, and thence the lamp (bulb) could be live as there is no polarity with B22.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. AdrianUK

AdrianUK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Are these traditional filament lamps (ie. they get hot) or LED lamps.

I'd be carefully of using the adapters with a traditional lamp, maybe too hot but Id have no concerns with an LED lamp.

10. Sponsored Links
  11. noobiediyer

noobiediyer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    LED bulbs. They are actually Philips Hue smart LED bulbs which are pretty expensive hence trying to find a solution for them. If they were normal LED bulbs then I wouldn't have an issue replacing them but it's a hard pill to swallow for replacing the Hue bulbs.

12. AdrianUK

AdrianUK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Then, with the usual proviso of making sure the fitting is switched off before you replace the lamps etc etc, I'd say go for it!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Dodgy. You have a 50/50 chance of plugging them in and getting the outer screw thread connected to the live or the neutral. Get it wrong and the exposed metal part of the lamp base can be connected to the live as it is inserted or removed.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. noobiediyer

noobiediyer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Oh right...I see what people mean now. I didn't quite understand before but the penny has dropped with what you wrote. Yes, I can see this being an issue. However, being LED lights which last almost forever, I don't expect to change the bulbs. If/when I do, if I make sure 100% sure it's switched off at the light switch (or for extra good measure, turn of the lighting fuse at the consumer unit) then surely this would be fine? It's not ideal but perhaps this is enough precaution to see me through a couple of years before I replace them for E27 style bulbs.

15. PRC123

PRC123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Here’s a video that explains the risk of electric shock with these adaptive fittings

16. EFLImpudence

EFLImpudence

Thanks Received:
    Portugal
    Don't (all?) modern ES holders have two contacts at the bottom instead of using the screw?