How safe is your house?

Sponsored Links
Yes, usual rubbish dressed up as entertainment.

Even had an email from Elecsa advertising the programme.

"An RCD is a switch designed to trip when the electricity is flowing out of the house through anything other than the earth wire"
For anyone who doesn't know that's completely wrong.

"An RCD is a switch designed to trip when the electricity is flowing out of the house through anything other than the earth wire"For anyone who doesn't know that's completely wrong.
Indeed. In fact, it would almost be correct if one more-or-less reversed it by replacing the words "anything other than the earth wire" with "a connection to earth"!

Kind Regards, John

Oooh. I don't think that is really correct.

Surely it would only be totally correct to have said "anything other than the neutral wire".

Sponsored Links
On a positive note they mentioned someone had died when they got into the bath and touched the taps.

There was a faulty electrical appliance, however the cable to the outdoor earth rod had corroded.

Oooh. I don't think that is really correct.
Well, I only said 'almost correct', but ...
Surely it would only be totally correct to have said "anything other than the neutral wire".
What return paths back to the tranny, "other than the neutral wire", were you contemplating which would not be covered by my "a connection to earth"?

The point I was trying to make was that they 'almost' got it totally back-to-front!

Kind Regards, John

The point I was trying to make was that they 'almost' got it totally back-to-front!
Ah. I misunderstood your intention. Sorry.
Yes, they said "anything other than the earth wire", whereas I was suggesting that "anything, so long as it is a connection to earth" would be much closer to the truth!

Kind Regards, John

"An RCD is a switch designed to trip when the electricity is flowing out of the house through anything other than the earth wire"For anyone who doesn't know that's completely wrong.
Indeed. In fact, it would almost be correct if one more-or-less reversed it by replacing the words "anything other than the earth wire" with "a connection to earth"!
But it has to flow out of the house, right? The RCD won't do anything if it's only flowing in the house? That's what they mean, right?

But it has to flow out of the house, right? The RCD won't do anything if it's only flowing in the house? That's what they mean, right?
Maybe, and I'm not disagreeing with any of that ... it was only words after the ones about 'flowing out if the house' which I was suggesting could/should be changed to make it much closer to being true!

Kind Regards, John

I saw they zapped the woman in a faraday suit with a high voltage spark halfway across the room for her to be told this could happen to her in her own home from an unearthed switch, and if she wasn't wearing a protective suit it will kill her :rolleyes:

They also got the physics of how the faraday suit works wrong.

On a positive note they mentioned someone had died when they got into the bath and touched the taps.
There was a faulty electrical appliance, however the cable to the outdoor earth rod had corroded.

So which was live, the bath or the taps ?

Had the bath been bonded to the taps then there could not have been any potential difference between bath and taps.

I recall mention of a defective appliance being blamed, if a defective appliance had made the bath live then the bond to taps would have prevented the fatal shock and if the pipe to taps was earthed then via the bond fault current could have tripped a safety device ( RCD or maybe MCB )

Like wise if the defective appliance had made the pipework live then a fatal shock to a person in the bath from the taps would have been impossible if the taps were bonded to the bath.

The media reports were not accurate and as often happens enhanced to make the tragedy more dramatic to attract readers and viewer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back