how safe/unsafe is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing some alterations on our kitchen. Kitchen was fitted some 8 years ago by "qualified"fitters. Every socket has been wired like this View media item 2668 What do you experts think?

Sponsored Links
Not an expert, but they are wired incorrectly

Each earth fly-lead from the ring should go directly to the back of the socket, into the earth terminal....

You can easily resolve this, to correct this mistake

The cpc's require terminating at the socket face, not the backbox. You may need to extend them to reach as they look to be on the short side.
Although you don't need to connect the earth terminal on socket face to the backbox I would consider it to be good practice and would do so.

Sponsored Links
you are supposed to just paste the net brackets in like this

View media item 2668
but no grommets and earth sleaving too short. seen worse

But surely the earths should terminate in the socket face not the backbox, with a link wire to the backbox. The only way an appliance is earthed is through the screws fixing the front to the backbox.

Yes, Breezer missed that. No requirement to link to the backbox when there's a fixed lug though it is good practice.

As cabinman and garymo have said, the earth wires should connect directly to the terminal on the socket front. You may run a short tail to the back box, if the back box isn't accessable then some don't bother as it is earthed via the screw and fixed lug tho I prefer to put the link in anyway.
There should be a couple of gromets in there, are the wires heading downwards and across also?

Regarding the lack of grommets, I would never dream of not using them but in this case the requirement would be more of a good practice issue than from regulations.
The outer pvc sheath on the twin&earth is there for mechanical protection and given that there's little chance of sharp edges around the knockouts and no chance of movement during normal service I can't see the insulation of the inner conductors being damaged.
It's sloppy though.

There should be a couple of gromets in there, are the wires heading downwards and across also?

Yes, 1 wire is running across to the next socket and one down to a junction box then into another room. Going to get a spark round to check and upgrade everything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back