How seal off big gap in toilet pan waste?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is what I'm facing after toilet pan was removed to lay new lino. The big gap was originally full of a soft cream coloured paste that was semi hard.

What we have is cast iron pipe of unknown size with a "flare". Inserted in that some badly fitting plastic/rubber sleeve with 100mm/4" inner diameter (which was there before I dismantled). Inside of that we have a new wickes toilet connector.

The gap is between the cast iron and the insert.

Whats the correct method to seal this seeing as it's too thick for silicone? The guy at the plumbing shop said that these were originally sealed with some sort of cement and told me I might have to smash the toilet to remove it (though thankfully I didn't have to).

Appreciate the help as always!

Copyright_PAntoniou_20151203_07.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just leave as is. Originally was probably filled with plumbers mate.

Sponsored Links
The pipe that the toilet connector fits into, inside the cast isn't sealing to the cast, is that your issue?

Use a wet grab rubberised adhesive to fix the pipe to the cast, just make sure it's all as clean and as dry as poss. Leave as long as poss to set firm.

Once set then fill the larger gap with anything - putty, filler, mate etc

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back