How serious is this lintel problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm posting this on behalf on an FB friend who I live nowhere near, so apologies for this being a bit second hand. She lives in a rented house and she is worried that the house might be structurally unsound. She has sent these pics of an exposed lintel; note the third one, that appears to show a bit of lintel that has separated and is poking through the remains of the rendering:
Lintel1.jpg

Lintel2.jpg

Lintel3.jpg

She has informed her landlord but he has told her there is only a problem with the rendering and no action needs to be taken. But she tells me the window frame is bowing out (you might be able to see this on the first picture). Also, several years ago some builders told her all the lintels in the house were failing and needed to be replaced. But all that was done at the time was repair of the rendering.

The landlord has seen these pictures by the way, but he insists the problem is only cosmetic and nothing needs be done.

She is worried, as the children's bedroom is directly above this window.

So three questions really: does this problem need sorting? Does it look like it can be sorted cheaply, e.g. by injecting silicone? And is there a possibility the wall could collapse suddenly, or will it just slowly subside at the worst?

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert but there does appear to be something worth investigating further, if the photos are not distorting the situation.

Maybe citizens advice, or

https://www.gov.uk/report-dangerous-building-structure,

or a private surveyor.

Probably best to advise landlord of your intentions, so he has an opportunity to comment/review his stance, and check what the lease says about responsibilities for the structure (almost certainly the landlords)

Blup

Does the window open and close properly?
That for starters.

Tell her to get a straight edge (a metre rule, a spirit level) and hold it against a straight edge on each window (on the frame, not on the opening bits)- measure how much deviation there is from straight (the pics do make it look as if the windows are bowed but that may be a lens thing). Write the measurements down for each door/window, if she has a friend get them to take pics while she holds the straight edge against the frame.

If the lintels are failing it is a big problem for her landlord. They are unlikely to suddenly catastrophically fail. Have a look on her councils' website and see which department is responsible for looking after private tenants (just checked- my council has various online forms she can submit with her concerns).

Problem will be to get it looked at by someone who knows what they're doing without it costing her money and without annoying the landlord.... (don't want a Section 21 to land on her doorstep do you).

Sponsored Links
Pilsbury - I have asked her your question and she should be back with an answer soon, I think she's putting the kids to bed. Oldbutnotdead, I will post your instructions right now....I had to google 'Section 21' :). Blup...thanks for that link, didn't know the process was as easy as filling in an online form, but will keep that option as a last resort if landlord will not budge.

Too late tonight to do the straight edge measurements but she tells me the window opens and closes fine, no sticking or jamming.

Its not the tenants place to be spending money on surveyors or reports. Its a landlords repairing obligation and it's more than lose render.

If there is damp and draught then its a potential statutory nuisance and actionable within 21 days. Else its a landlord and tenant claim under structure and exterior - this will include compensation.

Keep records of notifying the landlord as the claim starts from when they were put on notice of the defect.

It's unlikely to be immediately dangerous, but it needs urgent action. But in a tenants mind and in any correspondence, it's dangerous and causing anxiety and alarm. That helps with any compo claim.

Dangerous structures normally come under building control and they should come out if it's as serious as described. If not a danger they can allay your fears, if it is they have powers to require the landlord to act.

There are other courses of action as mentioned above and it is ultimately for you to decide how to proceed.

Blup

There might not be a lintel. Possibly the original windows provided some support that the replacement, joke plastic windows fail to do.

The flaking rusty metal in the OPs photos suggest a metal lintel but it’s not absolutely clear. Plastic windows not as structurally strong as wood can be

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back