How should I fix this fake window film issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a house that's 11 years old - I moved in 3 years ago and it has fake windows between floors, where the black film has gone bad (please see attached image).

What's the best way to fix this?

Should I hire someone? If so who, a glazier?

Attachments

• Fake Windows - Rear of House.jpg
    Fake Windows - Rear of House.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 148
Sponsored Links
Window fitter should be able to remove and replace , film used look poor quality and has curled up in the heat.

Window tints are generally fitted to the inside of the glass pane so as above your going to want to take the glass out to fit some new stuff.
There may be paints you could use on the outside but you would need to look into that, Mainly about how long it would last

Thanks both for the advice. I'll get someone round to take the windows out and replace the film.

Sponsored Links
I e-mailed a glass company and they replied with this:

We have reviewed your images and would like to recommend replace the glass for a Satin finish glass instead of replacing it with a film.

The life expectancy/warranty on external film is very short 4-5 years and because of this we do not like to use them and would not entertain this enquiry if this is how you want to proceed.

For your convenience I have calculated the price (subject to site survey) using the approximate measurements you have provided. It is not clear from the picture if the glass is a Double Glazed sealed unit or a single pane, for this reason we have provide both options

Option 1
To supply and fit - 2no. Double Glazed Sealed Units, approx. 450mm x 1500mm, Satin Glass ……...£375.75 +VAT​

They are going to come over to measure up and give me a more accurate quote. I like the idea of using dark glass instead of film, so I'll probably go ahead with it.

Satin glass would be a better option I expect (pretty much totally obscure and white).
Price looks a little high (depending on how far they have to travel) Toughened Satin units would probably cost around £70-80 per pane double glazed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back