How the hell can this happen.

Sponsored Links
It does seem a pretty basic thing to keep tabs on :confused:

Mind you, when my son fell down the stairs a few months ago and we went to A&E with suspected concussion as he was in and out of consciousness, he was left for ages without anyone bothering to come and check anything at all. Even when the monitor flatlined for 20 seconds or so (obviously we knew that the finger clip had just fallen off and it took us a few seconds to get it back on), not a dicky bird from anyone.

I know you can point out that we were there to keep an eye on him, but our observation was that quite a few people were left unattended for quite long periods, with flatline machine hums going offall over the shop sporadically. Begs the question as to why they have the machines on at all if they have no intention to listen out for them.

Someone could quite easily have bled to death, the amount of time between any check ups. Appalling state of affairs really.

In our nursing home, last year , a resident was sent to hospital because she was very ill. About 3 days later she was returned to our home with a hospital report saying she was dehydrated and had been on a drip for the time she was in hospital, and therefore,, rehydrated.. An hour after her return she collapsed and an ambulance was called. At the hospital, (same one she'd just been released from) the emergency doctors announced that she was dehydrated. The nurse on duty at the nursing home spoke to one of the doctors who'd diagnosed our resident, explaining that she'd only been released an hour before. Guess what,,, He changed the diagnosis. She was diagnosed with a water infection, treated with antibiotics and recovered.

How can it happen ? - Because proper nurses ( like my Mrs. ) are all retiring now ( as she has ) Replaced by graduates with degrees and cleaners who are just low paid skivvies on an outsourced contract . It`s not news is it :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
How can it happen ? - Because proper nurses ( like my Mrs. ) are all retiring now ( as she has ) Replaced by graduates with degrees and cleaners who are just low paid skivvies on an outsourced contract . It`s not news is it :rolleyes:

Whats cleaners got to do with feeding and ensuring the basic needs of patients are catered for ?

used to be srn or sen why the hell do they need to got to damn uni to be a nurse ridiculous :evil:

Whats cleaners got to do with feeding and ensuring the basic needs of patients are catered for ?

used to be srn or sen why the hell do they need to got to damn uni to be a nurse ridiculous :evil:

Junior nurses used to do some of the cleaning in wards, and certainly most of the cleaning and feeding of patients, it got them to spend time around the patients beds talking to them and seeing how they were.

Nowadays they all just hang around the desk area thinking how important they are now they've got a "degree" (which only takes 2 years of on the job training - so it's hardly the same as 3 to 5 years of full time study, is it?)

The only staff you ever see on the wards themselves ARE the cleaners and auxiliaries.

Even when the nurses do the drugs rounds and are dishing out the medication, they have on a tabard instructing people not to talk to them - in case they lose count of the pills!

I'd say the vast majority of actual nursing care in hospitals these days is done by the Health Care Assistants. Nurses are driven by paperwork, There's a veritable mountain of the stuff these days. I can foresee a time, in the not too distant future where nurses will have personal secretaries to deal with this paperwork and let the nurses get on with nursing. ;) ;)

i spend a fair bit of time in hospital currently and have nothing but good things to say about the nurses the Dr and consultants on the other hand treat you like a pure nuisance to there day.
it did take me a while first off to realise that the HCA wernt nurses as they do so much id assume was nurse duties but it certainly works in the hospitals i visit.

My wife just started uni to train as a nurse and is only two weeks in ,its 3 years in placements and at uni.

Kept comfortable, clean, fed and watered and comforted that what nurses should do Leave the medical stuff for the doctors old fashioned maybe
but I never heard of people starving to death in the old days

Matrons put the fear of god in to nurses and doctors too !!

Sometimes solutions can be simple.

My wife just started uni to train as a nurse and is only two weeks in ,its 3 years in placements and at uni.
Best wishes to her . If she wants a few tips let me know , I`ll ask ;) . Took Mrs a bit longer , like 30 years . Started as NNEB . Then SEN ,converted to SRN . Ended training and assesing NVQs. That`s why I never felt the need to become a gas Man -I`m happy to be a kept plumber :mrgreen:

My other half worked at the local hospital for 6 months as a cleaner and came away crying with the stress, having a go at her for finding the right mop to do the right job.Taking too long.A nurse would grab any mop.

Different wards needed different mops according to my missus, they bullied her out, i asked her to go to the paper and she wasn't willing to.
She's worked all her life but won't go there again.
I would if i was ill.

:mrgreen:

An hospital in northern England killed my elder sister with dehydration when she was very sick with MS. I visited her and noticed that the drip was empty. The urine in the bottle hanging by her bed was dark brown. She whispered in my ear that she was terribly thirsty so I gave her a sip of water, which made her choke. Several nurses appeared, drew the curtain around her then sucked her lungs out with a vacuum tube, which sounded horrible. One of the nurses was wearing a filthy string bracelet. The oxygen apparatus above her bed had a paper filter inside, which was stained and filthy. Her husband, my brother-in-law, told me after the funeral that withdrawal of water and food is often used as a way of hurrying very sick patients on their way and that the decision had been taken to do the same with my sister.

I did nothing about it and I have to live with this now.

Sponsored Links
Back