how thin can screed be? or are there alternatives for small variations in a floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year we replaced some awful kitchen lino with some nice laminate/wood flooring. did the skirting board and and painted the whole room.

A year on, we notice that in a couple of areas there is very very slight movement in some areas and there is a slight up/down movement, 1-2mm. Fine for now, but long term something will wear away so I have realised we need to take the skirting boards back out, take the floor boards up and fix and that is what I need advice on

I have read that 'screed' should be around 50mm thick. yet we only need a couple of areas levelled out.. and that seems quite a big option for a small issue

What advice can anyone give to do this as we don't really want to screed the whole floor, just level out some small section by a couple of mm's

Sponsored Links
I don’t think you can screed on top of a wooden floor but I stand to be corrected.

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear, my mistake, the flooring is solid. it is tile that is upon concrete, and that's what we placed the laminate upon. (with an underlay)
we now notice the laminate has slight up-down movement, so we are needing to work out how to level the flooring, yet it is only a few mm's difference in a couple of places

Sponsored Links
Ahh ok cool. that sounds better! Had a feeling cement screed would not be the thing i needed due to the thinness

So the item linked above can do even 1-2mm?

Also can you tell me what is needed to prep the area? what type of primer?

thanks so much in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back