How tight should a fitted carpet be? II

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in a similar position to TwoSheds regarding his early posting.

I had a carpet installed in my lounge on the 23rd Dec, woven with underlay. The carpet has a 3-4 crease lnes which run part way across the width in a few positions. The fitters reassured my partner after the fitting that they would relax in time. The carpet seems reasonably tight (in my very limited knowledge) having run my foot over it and not produced any 'waves'.

How long should the creases take to 'relax', if, in fact, they actually do?
(NB the carpet was rolled and not folded before installation)

Sponsored Links
If it has creases in it it must be slack if and when these settle it will be even slacker.

my thoughts are the same as confused2

although if the lines are diagonal rather than in line with a wall it could be tight with wrinkles
just means its been laid slightly off square and may settle as the fibres move

take a large sheet off paper[bigger the better]move one of the paralell edges by only a small amount sideways[parralel] to the other side and creases appear

My chum in the furnishing trade told me a carpet fitters trick for getting bubbles and ripples out:

spray or sprinkle a litttle water on the offending part, enough to make it damp.

When it dries it will shrink and tighten.

He tells me that the best way is to lift a flap of carpet in the doorway first so that the householder can't open the door and see what you're doing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

I have been advised by the company that they should dissapear 'over a coupleof weeks' FYI, otherwise they will come back out to re-fit.

Despite the fitters trying to rip my partner off, I'll give them the benefit of doubt for another week or two.....

It is not uncommon for woven carpets EG wiltons to require a bit of time acclimatise. Once it has had a week or two insist that the carpet fitters return for a re stretch if there are still rucks visible, this is a fairly normal thing and is quick and easy for them to do .

sometimes, if it was a large peice of carpet and awkward to get into the house you have to bend the carpet to get it round corners, this causes the pile to push in one direction or another giving the appearance of a crease. this will with time walk out.
if there is no actual give in the carpet then stretching is not the answer. do not put water on the carpet to try to solve the issue this only works on wool carpets and should be hot water shrinking the carpet the same way a wool jumper shrinks in a hot wash.
you have paid to have it professionally fitted and if you are not happy take it up with the company who laid it. if it is just the case of restretching it they should be able to cure it easily

I've gotten and installed carpets that had been sitting under a pile of other rolls for a long time, and the result was that the pile was flattened down at the bottom of the carpet roll. So, when that carpet was installed, the alternating bands of flattened and normal pile gave the carpet a "banded" appearance. That came out by itself in time.

However, if there's any looseness in the carpet, then it hasn't been stretched sufficiently, and the problem will only get worse. They should have used a carpet stretcher to install the carpet to put the proper tension into it. Guys will install carpets with just a knee kicker, but to do a proper installation, they should have used a carpet stretcher.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back