How tight to do MDPE fittings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I've just fitted the various fittings onto the 25mm MDPE pipe which will soon become the new water supply pipe to my house, and I want to be confident I have tightened them properly. The instructions are vague - they just say to "tighten" - don't say how much.

I've done them all "very hand tight" - i.e. absolutely as tight as I could with my hands, with a cloth wrapped around the fitting. Is that right?

(I asked a plumber who was out to look at a gas job this morning, but I'd like a second opinion.)

Was sure to push the pipes right inside the fittings, by the way - past the rubber o-rings, right to the stops.

Also, does anybody sell clips specially for 25mm pipe? I can find various generic things (spring clips, P clips etc., the latter of which looks fine) but nothing specifically for the job.

Thanks,
Mark

Sponsored Links
Thanks Kev. What do you mean they will move? That the pipes will flex a bit as they take up the strain? Or that the fittings will unwind and I'll be flooded? Or something else?

tightened by hand is fine, hope you put the inserts in the pipes.
the pipes will only move 2mm maximum as the grip rings dig in when you pressurise for the first time.

Sponsored Links
they will pull back as if they are coming off its normal

i did some for the old fella at his allotment

put the water on and he was running for cover :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back