How tightly to tighten washing machine inlet hose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I installed a new inlet hose less than a year ago and it's now started dripping at the end attached to to the tap under the kitchen sink. When I removed the old washer, it was slightly frayed at the edges and there was a circular indentation mark across it. Does this indicate that the hose was screwed on too tight? I only tightened it by hand and it's in an awkward position so I did not get that much strength into it.

I searched other posts here and found advice of applying washing liquid to the washer and ptfe tape on the thread of the tap, but does my issue sound like too tight, too loose or a cheap washer? I would describe the colour of the old washer as black shiny jelly.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Hand tight should be fine, maybe nip them up a bit with adjustables. Make sure the thread isnt crossed.

Thanks for your reply, blup.

Nip them up a bit with adjustables? Sorry, I don't understand, haha.

Sponsored Links
Hand tight plus a quarter turn at most. Rubber gloves will help you grip it.

Good point about cross threading. I find you need two hands so you can align it perfectly straight before turning. If you have cross threaded the plastic nut you will probably need a new hose.

When you say the washer is frayed at the edges that sounds like the rubber has gone old, hard and cracked. I'd replace it

The indentation mark is normal and isn't indicative of overtightening. As for how tight to do it, tight enough so it stops leaking then a little bit more. Shouldn't ever need any tools

Thanks for all the replies.

That link didn't work for me, but I found the tool from the link text, thanks.

I hope I haven't cross-threaded the plastic nut! I didn't pay much attention to that first time round!

Oh I wasn't going to use the same washer! Haha. I already had two spares (the ones that were in the hose that came with the machine) as I had kept the hose.

Unfortunately, after fitting the new washer, it still leaks, but I think this could be due to the new washer hole being slightly too big as the washer can move around. I will have to buy another washer with a smaller hole and hope that it works.

Will post back with the results.

Thanks.

Well I bought a new washer but it still drips. It is possible it could still be that the new washer is still not the perfect fit. It is very difficult to tell exactly where the drip is coming from, but I had a long close look and I THINK the drip is coming from where the metal part meets the hose (see pic) in which case, I am assuming that I would need a new hose. I don't suppose trying to crimp it would work??
WMIH.jpg

need a new hose. I don't suppose trying to crimp it would work??

Where you point out the leak is coming from, seems unlikely, because usually the metal is all one part - a sort of sleeve over the top of a nylon part. The metal section, just makes the whole, crimpable onto the pipe.

Most likely - the leak is an inadequate seal, between the face of the nylon part, and the face of the fitting it tightens onto - which is where the washer comes in...

It should be a large wide, and quite soft rubber type washer, which should fill the width of the socket. Only a soft washer will seal with hand tightening, a fibre washer will not do..

You should be able to see quite easily if its X threaded, leave the washer out, smear a dab of vaseline on the threads and just screw it in by hand , post a photo if you like, replace the washer and retighten by hand and just nip it up with a mole grips or pliers just tight enough to barely grip the plastic connection.

Try fitting an extra 3/4" washing machine valve rubber. E.g. Screwfix item 6039J. Sometimes the handle on the valve is too close to the edge of the securing nut, which means you can't tighten it enough. The extra washer move the nut further from the handle.

Thanks for all the advice.

This is the washer that I had bought. I assume these are 'soft' washers? I tried adding a second washer but it still drips. Not the washer suggested above, just another one from the ones I had bought as I had 9 spare!

What is is that I'm looking for with the Vasline tip? I am able to screw it in quite easily and tightly until it stops turning.

Thanks.

Can you swap the hose around and use the other end; keep the washers in the same place for starters (as in remove the washers from the hose ends, leave the washers at the tap/appliance end they are currently at, and just swap the hose around).

If the drip follows the hose end, it might be the union between hose and end that is faulty. If the drip stays at the currently problematic end swap the washers around.

If the drip moves, perhaps the washers are passing. If the drip remains at the currently problematic end perhaps a fault with the valve it's being screwed onto

Thanks robinbanks. That is a very logical suggestion and I had thought of that at the very beginning but wanted to avoid messing with the washing machine end which has been perfectly dry all this time. The hose is also a long one that goes through awkward and tight spaces/holes. Can't remember if I would have to take a panel off the cabinet to get the screw-on piece to go through a corner hole. I will take a look. Before anyone asks, don't worry, the length of the hose is not overlong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back