How to Acrow prop sloped rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys i need to prop the rafters on a small (4m x 4m) single story outbuilding in order to enlarge the door opening and subsequently place a larger lintel.
can anyone advise me how to best get round the issue of safely supporting the sloped rafters when he top of the prop is obviously flat level?

some kind of attachment to the top of the props?
a timber wedge somehow fixed between the top of prop and underside of rafter?

Sponsored Links
I bolted wood to the end of the prop to form an angle that kept it in place and spread the load, but the correct answer is don't use them at an angle.

Blup

You need to nail or screw a suitable timber under several rafters, and then prop that. You don't need wedges or anything fancy.

You need to nail or screw a suitable timber under several rafters, and then prop that. You don't need wedges or anything fancy.
thanks Woody but that would still leave me with a corner of the timber and so an angled surface to prop which i would of thought wasnt ideal, unless do you mean using a strongboy under the timber?

Sponsored Links
I bolted wood to the end of the prop to form an angle that kept it in place and spread the load, but the correct answer is don't use them at an angle.

Blup
thanks but how did that keep it in place, ie stop the prop slipping up and away from the rafter?

Just prop the corner of the angled timber plate. Put a couple of nails through the acro plate.

Tilt fillet screwed to the rafters would help level things.
If you are propping the roof fully loaded be careful! what happened to the ceiling ties?

Tilt fillet screwed to the rafters would help level things.
If you are propping the roof fully loaded be careful! what happened to the ceiling ties?
Thanks for this, thats the kind of thing i had in mind, there are no ceiling ties as its just a relatively small single pitch roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back