How to age concrete slabs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had the slabs laid aroung the pond in our garden, and would like to make them look older. Is there any way of doing this?

Sponsored Links
Put milk on them and don't walk on them for a while - encourages lichen growth.

Sponsored Links
I prefer mine with a twist of black pepper and a slice of lemon, but each to their own.
. I'll let sensible folks comment now rather than my purile drivel :D

Pete - could you try some with milk and some with yoghurt and let us know what works best?
Might need to protect them from strong sunshine - lichen grows on north facing side of tree trunks.

I'm tempted to ask what flavour yoghurt, but someone will probably call me stupid!!!
I will try the milk and yoghurt and thanks for the advice but although I take the point about shade I can't do much about that as it's south facing and wide open.

If you carefully apply brick cleaner you with etch the slabs. It's a mild acid that will take away the cement form around the aggregate.

This has two effects. Firstly it exposes the stones, sometimes this looks great, I use granite in decorative concrete mixes and it is much better than regular stone. However the stone used in yours may not be what you want on the short term. However the second effect may help. By etching you leave a rougher surface. This gives a 'key' for organic material to build up much faster than the smooth, un etched surface.

As you mention a pond you should not allow any of the brick cleaner or rinse to enter the pond. Mop it up off the surface or catch it in a shallow tray as it goes off the edge. A paint roller tray is ideal. Acid will harm all pond life.

Work the cleaner in with an old, stiff, paint brush before you rinse. Don't use too much at a time, repeat.

Bit of a boring job as it actually cleans the slabs as you do it. But the ideas above will all work much better on etched slabs and you may find a better colour of slab as the stone is exposed.

how to age concrete slabs?

Cut through them and count the rings or failing that look at their teeth ;)

yoghort or a liquid of disolved cow manure are the best known methods for aging any stone or concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back