How to attach thermostat to boiler?

This got me thinking, so the boiler has a 2016 stamp on it - Building regs post 2018 should mean new boilers are fitted with a thermostat (or just TRV? not sure). Can I prove when the boiler was fitted? I have a gas safety cert but it just suggests a gas sleeve be fitted, doesn't mention install date.

I've checked the Energy Efficiency Rating document I was given, the property is listed as having a programmer and room thermostat! .. I'm a little bit peeved off right now..

What should I do about this?

I am not a Gas Safe Registered fitter. I am a controls engineer, so unless somebody who is gas safe and installed boilers prior to 2018 chimes in, I’m going to say I cannot guarantee this to be correct -
However, I’m pretty sure that Part L of the building regulations 2005 also stipulated that all new boiler installations should be:

1) A condensing boiler (which yours is)
2) Must have controls fitted (which yours does not).

This was not just a “thing” introduced in 2018’s update.

Sponsored Links
you say you are North, where North ? if you are in Scotland part L does not apply

you say you are North, where North ? if you are in Scotland part L does not apply

I'm actually based in Walsall, West Midlands.

Thank you bhm1712 that's very helpful!
I know what you mean but I'm worried they'll sneak through on "It has an On and Off function" and "Thermostatic Radiator Values" and that'll meet the criteria of the regulations.

I've sent off the email asking the agent to ask the landlord:
"The thermostat - I've attached pictures ("energy thermo.jpg", "Thermo Rec.jpg", "Thermo stat.jpg") the EPC documentation shows that there's a thermostat installed and here's a picture of a thermostat and receiver, is it possible to have it reconnected please?"

I'll chase it up tomorrow and hopefully won't have to take it any further.

Thanks again everybody! Hopefully can get this sorted before the temperature drops too much!

I know what you mean but I'm worried they'll sneak through on "It has an On and Off function" and "Thermostatic Radiator Values" and that'll meet the criteria of the regulations.
No as you are in England, it doesnt meet the regulations, whoever done the EPC has just seen it was there and didnt know it had been disconnected, because they wouldnt test it

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
No as you are in England, it doesnt meet the regulations, whoever done the RPC has just seen it was there and didnt know it had been disconnected, because they wouldnt test it

Does anyone know how many points that would account for on a EPC rating?

Go back to the landlord/letting agent and tell them that there’s documentation stating you have a thermostat installed, there’s one on the wall (you now have photographic evidence) and ask them to reconnect it.

Opening up certain boilers, may disturb what is part if the combustion circuit and isn’t your responsibility as a tenant.

So just got a response from the agent:

(it starts with a 2, yes there's a list)
2, the landlord had a new boiler fitted last year and it didn’t come with a thermostat , the thermostat that is there is from the old boiler so needs throwing away .

Where do I go from here?

So just got a response from the agent:

(it starts with a 2, yes there's a list)
2, the landlord had a new boiler fitted last year and it didn’t come with a thermostat , the thermostat that is there is from the old boiler so needs throwing away .

Where do I go from here?

Dear letting agent,

Furnish the house with a reasonable heating control system or else.

Thanks.

Mr Tenant.

I agree with BlueLoo, or words to that effect.

You could even throw in the relevant paragraph from the building regs regarding boiler installation since they’ve now admitted the boiler was installed last year which falls into the post 2018 Regulation update time period (against the law to install it that way)

new boiler fitted last year and it didn’t come with a thermostat
very few boilers come with a room thermostat, only as part of a promotion, the room thermostat is purchased seperately, also point out that the EPC states a programmer and room thermostat are present, which they are not, threaten to insist that the EPC is redone correctly unless suitable controls are installed

Last edited:

TRV's do not comply (in this context). The system MUST have a thermostatic control that is "interlocked" with the boiler. IE, the control must be capable of turning off the boiler/burner when temperature satisfied, which TRV's cannot. I would be interested in knowing for sure that the boiler was fitted by an RGI, and has been registered, as required.

TRV's do not comply (in this context). The system MUST have a thermostatic control that is "interlocked" with the boiler. IE, the control must be capable of turning off the boiler/burner when temperature satisfied, which TRV's cannot. I would be interested in knowing for sure that the boiler was fitted by an RGI, and has been registered, as required.

Good point.

The OP could rightfully question the validity of the install and ask the agent for the certs....

Dear letting agent,

Furnish the house with a reasonable heating control system or else.

Thanks.

Mr Tenant.

I agree with BlueLoo, or words to that effect.

You could even throw in the relevant paragraph from the building regs regarding boiler installation since they’ve now admitted the boiler was installed last year which falls into the post 2018 Regulation update time period (against the law to install it that way)

Thank you, I've responded with "Regarding the termostat, I'm under the impression that a boiler must have a timer and thermostat fitted due to building regulations Conservation of fuel and power: Approved Document L."

I have an agent and landlord playing the game of "It didn't / it doesn't" I thought they'd fold and get it sorted after asking for it to be reconnected - they're basically outright refusing to have it resolved - who do I threaten to call (please don't say ghostbusters!) tomorrow when ringing up to suggest this is illegal?

Thanks again!

Thank you for the info,
Is this a request I can make as a tenant? How do I do this?

Hand in your notice?

I appreciate that may be an option to some people however we're not a well off family, I've got 2 young kids and I only moved in beginning of November - I needed financial help to get here. The hassle and cost associated with moving again just before the most expensive (and coldest months) of the year seems insurmountable right now.
Particularly when a well placed threat with the right wording and calls to legislation might get them to shift their butts.

I'm sorry to have bothered you I just wanted to fit some sort of timer/controller to the boiler to get my kids through the coldest mornings and got wrapped up in the illegality of the situation

Thank you so much for your help, I'll keep fighting but that's not something I can do right now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back