how to break off a metal clip?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
A medium sized screwdriver to open the clip as much as possible, which looks as if it might have already been done, followed by two pairs of pliers or preferably "Mole" type self grip wrenches to hold the tabs and bend them apart. If you're not used to tools be careful not to stab yourself with the screwdriver if it slips, or pinch yourself with the pliers grips etc. Personally if I had no tools or know how I'd take it into the local garage and ask nicely. :)

If you have a large pair of pliers and a strong grip you should be able to straighten those lugs that curve around the cage bars......the clip will then drop away.
John :)

A medium sized screwdriver to open the clip as much as possible, which looks as if it might have already been done, followed by two pairs of pliers or preferably "Mole" type self grip wrenches to hold the tabs and bend them apart. If you're not used to tools be careful not to stab yourself with the screwdriver if it slips, or pinch yourself with the pliers grips etc. Personally if I had no tools or know how I'd take it into the local garage and ask nicely. :)

thanks for this, i did give it a go with a screw driver but can't manage it as the clips are so strong plus they are loose so they keep rotating around the wire bit. I know it looks like i had some success with the screwdriver but trust me, it didnt budge it one bit, it was already like that, as you see it in the photo. (Incidentally i am but a fair maiden and have zero brute force for this lol!)...would bolt cutters work or am i getting too ambitious lol!

Sponsored Links
Seriously I'd take Dave's advice and take the thing to a garage or similar.....those clips will be stainless and tough, and either brute force is needed or an angle grinder to cut the metal away. It's 5 mins work I'd do for free.
Bolt croppers aren't needed here, and you need a fair grip to use them anyway.....no disrespect intended!

Seriously I'd take Dave's advice and take the thing to a garage or similar.....those clips will be stainless and tough, and either brute force is needed or an angle grinder to cut the metal away. It's 5 mins work I'd do for free.
Bolt croppers aren't needed here, and you need a fair grip to use them anyway.....no disrespect intended!

no offence taken lol, it's the truth, i have as much strength as a fly (maybe not even that strong lol). Thanks for the advice both of you. Here's hoping some big brute in a garage takes pity on me and helps lol :)

no offence taken lol, it's the truth, i have as much strength as a fly (maybe not even that strong lol). Thanks for the advice both of you. Here's hoping some big brute in a garage takes pity on me and helps lol :)
I'm sure someone will do it for you. Those sort of clips are one of those things that seem to have a life of their own when you try to remove them, and as John says if the brute force fails a touch with the angle grinder won't! Good luck with it. :)

If you were locked inside the cage like your poor dog and you had a few screw drivers you would soon get it opened.

The simple way to open that is two screwdrivers counter levering nudging the top tab and the bottom tab a bit at a time.

If you were locked inside the cage like your poor dog and you had a few screw drivers you would soon get it opened.

The simple way to open that is two screwdrivers counter levering nudging the top tab and the bottom tab a bit at a time.

i don't lock my dogs in the cage!!!!! It was for travel in the car only!

guess you think it's perfectly ok to have dog jumping all over the driver in a moving car, norcon?

cantcookwontcook, garage is a good idea, take a few packs of wagon wheels with u though lol

Did you try the two flat screw driver method yet?

yes but it won't budge and keeps twirling round so hard to get the little blighters off!! (plus i've not got much strength so that doesn't help either!).

thanks.....maybe next time we have a thunder storm i'll through it up on the roof and hope lightning strikes it lol

I have one of those cages for my dog, why do you want to remove the door?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back